Changing balances.

A quick learner from USA says:

Hi,

We have old double hung windows that had a very unique balancing system (not the weights). We aren't able to replace the system, so want to use the spiral balances you sell.

Eventually we want to put spiral spring loaded balancers for all our windows (~25), but want to start with the 3 kitchen windows in order to get the experience of installing.. We only need the bottom sash to be balanced. The top sash will not move.

The windows are non-tilt:

- 2 windows, 12 lbs., 40 1/2" H; 28" width

- 1 window, 20 lbs., 40 1/2" H ; 36" width

There is room to insert the spiral balance in the sash itself.

I don't know whether to get 3/8" or 5/8" tubing, nor what color (assume it is weight dependent). I also want to get all the other hardware needed to complete the project. 

Below I gave you the dimensions for the lower sash. When fully opened up or pulled up, it will only rise up 16 7/8”. In other words, the upper sash is small compared to the lower sash. I don’t know if that information is important or not.Can you give me guidance?Thank you, George

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Before we answer you, are these wood sashes and do they have a cut groove channel along their ends that ride in the track? Some photos would also be very helpful. Thanks!

A quick learner from USA says:
Yes, wood sashes. They have a cut groove in the sash (along 40" direction). The trim next to sash has metal guide, with a bead that fits into sash. It guides the sash up & down.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1539.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1540.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1542.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you. Your window wasn't designed to use side load spiral balances, unfortunately. You would need to remove the sashes carefully, making sure that you don't damage the metal track. Then you need to rout out a 5/8" groove on both sides of the sash to accept a Series 500 balance tubes. This is a big project, so if you don't think you're handy enough to do it then I would call a local professional to come out and do it for you.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.