Channel Balance

A quick learner says:

As suggested by your help line, I am emailing the order information from a recent order and a photo of the channel balances they were meant to replace. The shoes are too thick to allow the window to close. Can you determine what should have been ordered?

Did the markings on the picture tell you anything about the type of balances I had? It might be the 380 I need, but I measured the gap on a matching window that seems to be working, and each shows about 3/4 of an inch in the channel to the inside edge of the frame. Your shoes are 1 3/32 and 1 inch respectively. Are those too big for my window? I didn't see a unit with a 3/4 inch shoe.

Please let me know what you recommend.

Mike

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0 (11).jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Mike. I'm afraid I can't determine from the provided photo and information which balance is best for your application. The only way you can know that is to measure your old hardware.

This should be your main priority right now. Don't measure the gap or the frame or anything else in your window, just the shoe on the old balance. Odds are you need the balance with the smaller shoe: the S380-30, in your case.

If your shoe is smaller than 1" then tell me what you get and we can work from there. I can tell you right now that we don't have anything as small as 3/4", but there are other options out there that we can consider based on how big that shoe is.

A quick learner from West Palm Beach, Fl says:

The balances I replaced were destroyed, so I can't measure them. There is an identical window next to the one needing attention. I opened the clip to extend the balance shoe into view. It doesn't have the wings that the other one did, but it seems to be working fine. The image is hopefully attached. The shoe is 7/8 inch deep. Does this help?

Thanks for the help.

Mike

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 10C904A0-A768-44CC-94C4-A450C9612403.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

If the balances you need are missing, then that will complicate matters. We can still reliably use the balances in your other windows as a reference, but that means that we won't be able to guarantee they'll match. The best we can offer is an educated guess.

To compound that, if your shoe is 7/8" deep then that suggest you need our 15-029. This is similar to the 15-005 that comes on the Series 380 except for its depth. We can supply you with a balance using this bottom fitting but only as a custom order, and custom orders cannot be returned for a refund.

Since we're not 100% sure that this is the size you need, you need to really consider if it's something you want to take a chance on.

I'd be more than happy to make these for you, just let me know. To summarize exactly what we'd build for you, it'd be a normal 30" long 1/2" wide non-tilt channel balance with a 19-005 top and a custom 15-029 bottom. I would email you a purchase link that'd let you add 2 of these to your cart.

Let me know if you wanted to pull the trigger on that and I'll email it over to you.

A quick learner from West Palm Beach, Fl says:
This is way too complicated. I will go a different route. Thanks for your attempts to help.
Profile picture of Tom

Totally understandable. If you had any questions about this or any other project, please feel free to ask.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.