Channel Balance Help

A home owner from USA says:
I have Series 385 balances and the originals are marked with a 3130 stamp. When I installed your 3130, it began popping out of the window. I also checked and my window is 31-1/4" in height. (In the photos of my series 385, the original is stamped with the blue ink.)

Could it be popping out because of the top sash guides? I was recommended part 18-008H and I checked all these dimensions and they look very close, but mine does have 2 slots on the top instead of 1. On these dimensions mine has an overall length that's closer to 2-1/4" instead of 2-3/16" and the 13/16" is closer to 7/8". Plus mine isn't solid on top but has that extra slotted hole. Will it work?

Please let me know if you have any questions for me
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.png
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looking at the two balances side by side, I don't see any differences that would prevent ours from working. 

When you say the balance is popping out of the window, do you mean that it's going up in the track without anything holding it down? If so, the top sash guide is almost certainly the culprit. I'd be happy to verify if the 18-008H is a viable option but I would need to see yours, first. A clear photo of the original in undamaged condition and removed from the window will be necessary. I specifically need to see it from the front and side angles; think of it like a mugshot. 

It's the hook that detaches from the square hole inside of the window frame when the window gets close to closing.

Here are pictures of the existing sash guides removed from the window sash.

Thanks

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0B08C2D5-5EF7-43C1-9900-8085E5B20C06.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named E1255881-7628-49F2-A3C9-A0944C8AFA7A.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8FCAF134-8E82-415F-83D2-8E1CD2DFFB6E.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect, thank you! Yes, I agree with your original assessment. The 18-008H should be perfectly applicable replacement for your original top sash guide. The differences are negligible.

So you're recommending 32" Series 385 Channel Balance, Product Code: S385-32 as well?

The manufacturer number on my original is: 31 3 FT CMC 4

Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

The code doesn't verify what Series you have, unfortunately. That only tells you how strong the spring is. Up to this point I was just taking your word that the Series 385 was a match. If you have any doubts, you should measure the depth of the bottom fitting to verify. I can at least tell you, based on your photos, that this is the only difference you need to be concerned about at this point. Everything else looks okay but that shoe depth isn't something I can eyeball from here.

Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S380 and S385 balance shoes.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.