Channel Balance ID

A home owner from Ramrod Key, FL says:

Hi,

My sash has ink stamp "16-4 KX CMC 9"

Please advise me as to the correct replacement in your catalog.

I appreciate your help.

Please stay safe in these troubling times,

Regards,

Joe

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200419_155227.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200419_155255.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200419_155303.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200419_155307.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Joe. This looks like either an S380-17 or S385-17. The only difference between these two balances is the depth of the bottom nylon shoe. This can be thought of the 'heel-to-toe' measurement. Compare both with your old hardware to see what matches best. You will need a stamp option of 1640. Let me know if you have further questions. And thanks, be safe as well! 

Hi Bob,

The length is 16 inches so I am thinking the S380-17 or S385-17 will be too long. The bottom nylon shoe is 1 inch.

Does the S380-16 fit the bill? Also will I need a 1550 stamp option?

Thanks,

Joe 

Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Joe. If the metal channel, not including the nylon fittings, is indeed 16" long, that would be pretty unusual for a balance stamped 1640, though not unheard of. A balance stamped 1640 is typically 17" long. Those first two digits in the stamp code are supposed to represent the visible height of the glass in the window sash. The metal channel is 1" longer than the visible glass height.

If your balances are indeed 16" long, most likely what happened is that they were cut down by whoever built the windows to make them work. Often builders are limited with the parts they have, and in a time crunch they may simply modify the balances they have to make them work. So, if the shoe is 1" deep, and if the length is 16", then yes, you need the S380-16. The stamp option of 1550 does have a weight range that partly overlaps with the 1640 option; but I would get the exact weight of your window sash just to be extra safe. You can then confirm if that exact weight falls in the 1550's weight range of 13 through 17 lbs.

Hi Bob,

I'm a knucklehead. I just remeasured the channel and you are correct that it is 17 inches long!

Tx

Joe

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.