Channel Balance ID help please

A home owner from 85209 says:

Hi,

I have a Caldwell Channel balance with markings "28 4 LR Caldwell" Width of balance metal is 1/2". Metal piece length is 29". I looked at the pics and I could only narrow it down to 3 models. I have more pics but the limit is 5. Please let me know if you need more pics with measurements of the top or lower plastic pieces.

thanks so much!

John

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1843.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1842.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1839.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1838.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1840.jpeg
Hi, Please see additional pics. Thanks for the help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1841.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1837.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, John! I'd say the 29" Series 385 Channel Balance S385-29 with stamp option 2840 is what you're looking for. Check it out and let us know what you think.

Hi and thanks!

Of course I found 2 windows in my house that are slightly different from the rest.
For the majority of the windows, I ended up purchasing 34 of the S385-29 : 29" Series 385 Channel Balance with the stamp option and they're working well and went in just fine.

Now I have 2 more windows that are the exact same height as all of the rest of my windows, but they're definitely wider, and of course heavier.

I was able to remove one of the channel balances and it's the exact same length as the others in the house (29") and all of the fittings on each end are identical to the others, but the markings on them are different, presumably they indicate more sturdy springs to support the heavier window. The markings in these are "28 5 BT Caldwell".

So I guess the question is, since the 2840 supported the other windows and this window is bigger, should I get the stamp option 2850 or 2860 ?

For comparison, the windows I put the 2840s in are 32" Wide. These 2 larger windows are the same height, but they are 43" wide.

Thanks so much for the help!

Profile picture of Emily

If the stamp on your channel is 28 5 then you'll need the spring strength option of 2850. If you want to be 100% sure, you can remove and weigh your sash to determine which option you'll need. There is a chart on the product page that explains how to choose your option based on the sash weight. 

I hope that helps! Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Thanks so much for the quick response !
Profile picture of Emily

You're very welcome. Thanks so much for choosing Swisco!

Let us know if you have any future hardware questions, we'll be here to help. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.