Channel Balance Quote Request

A quick learner from USA says:
Channel series: S770
Channel length: 46
Channel stamp: C3310 46
Quantity: 2
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That's a very weird stamp for a Series 770 balance to have. Can you confirm that this is the right Series? Would it be possible to see photos of your hardware? If so, please show me a picture of the top end, bottom end, stamp, and the metal clip at the end of the cord. Just to play it safe, I'd also like you to tell me the exact weight of the sash.

Here are some pictures of the stamp and the cam shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 8CA2489A-86E7-4F80-BA55-9CAFE0A3C1BE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named D7FEF6AA-DB3D-457D-920A-922D55E79DCE.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. I would like you to confirm the length of the metal channel. What you're showing me here tells me that the metal channel should be 34", not 46. I think 46 might be the weight of the sash. I'd also like you to double check that for me by weighing the sash on a scale. 

Here is a picture of full length balance. It is a customer house do not have access to weigh the sash. It is an old very tall equal light single hung with 1/2" glass.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named EDF49E20-858D-45CF-B4C2-20D4388FB079.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

That's definitely 46" long. That's really weird. In that case, I have no idea what your stamp is designed to represent in terms of spring calibration. We won't be able to proceed without the exact weight of the sash, unfortunately. We will need it down to the ounce. The stamp usually just tells us what that is, but that is not the case this time. The number you have there is just too weird. I've never seen anything like it.

The stamp in the first picture which is off same balance is c3340 46.
None of those give you tension? Do you have anything similar 46" in length? The cam shoe picture shows you the end with the little metal rectangle.
Profile picture of Tom

Stamps usually do give us tension, yes, but not in this case. Ordinarily a stamp of "3340 46" indicates a balance that's 34" long that can support a 46 pound sash, which is why I asked you to confirm the length, but it seems that the company that made your balance works totally backwards from that. I've never seen a balance that works this way before and I don't know what your stamp represents. It's so weird, in fact, that I kind of think that your balance was stamped incorrectly when it was manufactured.

Instead of guessing, which would probably just lead us to getting it wrong (as guessing always does), it's best that we confirm beyond any shadow of a doubt what kind of spring calibration you need. The only way to do that is to get the exact weight of the sash, down to the ounce. 

This is especially necessary since a 46" long balance will have to be custom made. Your Series appears to be a match for our Series 770, as I said before, but these cap out at 40". Anything longer needs to be made from scratch. 

To reiterate, guessing won't get us anywhere. Balances are too finnicky and too precise. We need to do this right, and that will require a sash weight.

Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
Replace an Internal Latch with a Surface Mounted Latch [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.