Channel Balance Replacement

A quick learner from California says:
I need to replace the balances on my window and I cannot exactly make out the stamp code on the originals. It is either a "2720" or a "2730." How exact do I have to be? Would either one work for my window, as long as I ensure the L x W x D measurements are a match?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It's a good idea to be as exact as you can. I recommend removing your sash from the window and weighing it on a scale to get the exact weight. Any common bathroom scale would do.
A quick learner from California says:
Thanks Paul!
I was able to make out the model number on one of the balances by taking a photo and zooming in on the numbers. So I replaced both sides with the exact/correct channel balance.

I was assuming this would help the window to slide up/down more easily. While there is some improvement "up," the window still is very difficult to slide back "down," and even makes a squeaking noise now.

Do you have any suggestion for making the sliding operation more smooth? This an aluminum window (not vinyl) from the late 1980's. Should a try using a dry film lubricant spray and if so, what should I spray?

Thank you for your excellent help!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It sounds like you got the wrong spring strength for that balance. If the window won't close, then the springs are too strong. There isn't much you can do to fix the balances you have now if this is the case. I definitely recommend weighing your sash to make sure you get the right strength.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.