Channel Balance for 55 lbs window

A quick learner from Davis, California says:
Hi, I know I need a Series 380 channel balance that's 34 inches long (the metal part, as measured). However, my window is 55 lbs -- a really big one. It's a Milgaurd. Your site only shows product for an S380 up to 39 lbs. Can you get me a stronger one?

Pictures attached show the current balances, they seem fine, but they can't keep the window up, so their issue might well be that they are weak. Maybe you can tell from the number what weight they are rated for. Whatever they are, assuming they are good, then that's definitely not strong enough.

Thanks for your help here,

Joe
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey, Joe. It definitely sounds like you need heavy duty springs, but I'm afraid your photos didn't come through. Could you try uploading them again? Considering this is a Milgard brand window, your balances may be a little different than ordinary, so I'd like to see them to be 100% sure.

Sorry about that. If they don't come through again, write me from an email I can reply to and I'll attach them. The pictures are of the balance that's in there now. These match the balances for lots of Milgard windows installed in our house when built in 1998. All these windows seem to be in the same line, just different sizes. So I am pretty sure about these being S380 balances, and in fact I just replaced others that were 27 inches for 30 lbs and the new S380s worked fine. Measurements match those on your page for S380s. Nonetheless, thanks much for double checking; definitely want to get this right.

One other comment is that the one/s in the picture are not strong enough. They don't hold the window up, don't seem broken, never have held the window up since a service guy replaced the window when it was broken years back. So finally I am getting around to trying to fix this correctly.

Window is 45" wide x 36" high if that helps.

Greatly appreciate your help,

Joe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0667.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0668.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0669.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0670.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0671.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! These pictures are a relief. This does look like a great match for our Series 380. I appreciate you sending these photos over, I just wanted to be 100% sure. This will make things a lot easier.

Please give us a little time to confirm whether they make a version of this balance that can support 55 lbs. I'll try to get back to you as soon as our research yields results.

Profile picture of Tom

Hello again! I just wanted to let you know that I made some progress in my research, but hit a bit of a wall. Before I can continue, would it be possible to get the exact weight of the sash from you, down to the ounce? If we can supply a balance spring as strong as you need, it will have to be very precisely calibrated. I'll need a sash weight that is as exact as possible.

Any updates here? Thanks, Joe
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Joe. I had posted here on the 22nd asking for more information. Please review my last response and let me know when you can get me that information.

Of course you are totally on top of it and I missed your note! :~) 52.8 lbs it is, so something like 52 lbs 13 oz.? You guys are super. Thanks! Joe
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! That's exactly what we needed. I'll email you an order link and price quote now for two balances, which is our minimum. If you needed more, please let me know right here in this thread and I'll be happy to change that quantity.

thanks a million. ...just put in the order. joe
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.