28" and 22" Channel Balances

A contractor from Reading, pa says:
Hello, I recently ordered the wrong parts from you, now I have pics the stamp is 2830 I believe they are norandex I need both 28" and 22"
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0137.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0138.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0138.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear the balances you ordered didn't work out; you can see our Return Policy here. As far as identifying these balances, can you give me a picture of the top nylon fitting from a different angle? I want to be sure if it has 'wings' or not, like our 19-005. Also, can you double-check the length of both sets of balances? Measure the metal channel, but do not include the nylon fittings in that measurement. Finally, can you show me the stamp code on the metal channel for each set of balances? From there, we'll do our best to narrow down what you need. Many thanks. 

I am in process of sending more pics however there are no wings as in# 19-005 The 28 & 22 sizes are the actual metal track. I believe " Norandex" top sash cap is the exact if that helps??
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

I believe once we receive those additional photos of the fittings from different angles, it will give us more information about your balance so that we can provide a replacement option. 

Here are more Pics
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0143.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0144 (1).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0144.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0146.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. This looks like our Series 390 to me, which comes with a 19-002 top and 15-001 bottom. That 15-001 is 1-1/8" deep, so as long as your bottom fitting has the same depth then I'm confident that the Series 390 is what you want.

Tom, I measured the existing one, I come up with 1 3/16"+ vs 1 1/8", and 1 1/16" height vs 1" are you still thinking the 390 is it before I order it. Thanks, kerry
Profile picture of Tom

1-1/16" isn't unheard of. There's a good chance that shoe was 1-1/8" originally and simply wore down over time from friction.

1-3/16" however is very peculiar. I would triple check that. We do carry the 15-003, but this is a very specific shoe used in only very specific circumstances. That would mean one of your balances is an entirely different Series than the other, which isn't the impression I got from your other posts.

If this other balance is entirely different, please tell me which one it is (the 28" or 22" balance) and show me clear pictures of the top and bottom nylon fittings.

Tom they are the same I am seeing a 15-003 shoe with a19-002 top ,is this possible Also I think the "black cap" is a norandex if that helps??
Any chance of 15-003 shoe with 19002 top in 28" & 22"
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, we can supply that as a custom order. However before we do that I highly recommend quadruple checking the depth of that shoe to be sure. The 15-003 is uncommon. It very well may be exactly what you have now, but I would be 110% sure before ordering. You can never be too certain.

Assuming the 15-003 is right, we'll need a bit more information. Can you tell me the stamp printed on both balance sizes? I can't make it out in your photo above. I know that you mentioned before that the stamp was 2830, but I don't know if that's accurate. A balance stamped with "2830" would be 29" long, not 28". The first two digits of the stamp are always one less than the length. You should check your metal channel length, too. If the metal channel is 28" long and the stamp does read 2830, then something's wrong and we'll have to figure it out.

Using the same method, the stamp for the 22" balance should start with "21" followed by two other digits. 

Can you also tell me how many of each you need? Once I know that, I'll email you two order links and price quotes for those sizes.

I guarantee the stamp is 2830 and it measures 28", the other measures 22". Here are more pics
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0161.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0160.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0158.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0160.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

In that case, your stamps are inaccurate. Either they were printed wrong when they were manufactured, or whoever installed them cut a 29" and 22" balance down to the sizes they are now. With that in mind, we'll need you to weigh each sash on a scale and give me its exact weight, down to the ounce. That way we can calculate the proper calibration for these sizes.

Please also note that you aren't measuring the depth of the shoe in your third photo. That's the length. The depth of the shoe is the "heel to toe" measurement, assuming that the balance is standing straight up as it is while installed. Refer to the image below.

Alternate view of 15-004
Alternate view of 15-004
Tom, I apologize my "old" 2830 does in fact measure 29" not 28. The depth is 1 7/32" , the length 1 1/16"
Profile picture of Tom

Gotcha, thanks for confirming. Am I right to say that your 2230 balance is 23" long?

Assuming I'm right, I'll email you an order link and price quote right now for two 23" long balances with a 15-003 shoe and four 29" long balances with the same 15-003 shoe. Let me know if you have any questions!

How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.