Channel Balances

A home owner from Ashland, Oregon says:
Hello,

I believe I may need new channel balances. I just moved bought a new house, and two of the windows are particularly difficult to move up and down.

The stamped markings say 14 5 BSI nl.

I weighed the sash and it is 13.6 pounds.

It looks like it has the pulley wheel inside of the shoe so I believe it needs to be a custom job.

I would like 4 total channel balances, for 2 windows. I have other windows I may also be replacing in the near future but I wanted to start with these.

Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 14 5  BSI
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0730.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0731.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0732.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0733.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! You have what's known as an "extended travel" channel balance. We can supply these, but it has to be a custom order since it's not a stock part.

Thankfully your photos tell me everything I need to get started. Please just give me a bit more time to confirm its availability and I'll get back to you ASAP!

Thank you for the response! Looking forward to new channel balances.

If the windows are going up and down really rough and the channel balances fall out of the sash, are there any other components I should be looking at replacing? Lubricating the track? (take out clips are fine on these windows).

The top sash guide in particular looks a little different on these windows than some of the others in the house. I attached a picture -- on the left is this window, on the right is one of the other windows that is functioning better.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0718.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for waiting. We have everything we need to get started. I will email you a purchase link and price quote now for 4. As for this top sash guide you show here, this appears to match our 18-171. Look it over and let me know if you agree!

Other components will have to be examined on a case by case basis. Odds are you can reuse most of what you're working with, but it can't hurt to give your windows a once-over to check if anything is cracked or looking like it's about to crack. Lubrication also can't hurt; I recommend spraying the track where the balance installs with silicone spray. I like that because it doesn't attract dust or debris like oil would. You can pick it up at any local hardware store.

Fantastic, thank you! I just placed the order, and grabbed a few take out clips and top sash guides as well. If these custom balances give these windows new life I have another dozen or so to outfit (that are not in as bad condition).

Thanks, Tom!
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.