Channel Guide Part Number Determination

A handy person from DEVENS,MA says:
Hi!
I have a "2820" guide part number, but cannot tell if the replacement should be an S351 or an S390.
Your photo does not show the differences and my "old parts" are broken .
Help!
Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220729_153749.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2820
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220729_154402.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220729_154042.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Take a look at the image below to determine if you need the S351-29 or S390-29. You'll also need a 2820 spring strength option for your replacement balances. 

You'll need to remove a balance from one of your windows with an undamaged bottom fitting to get an accurate measurement. Thank you!

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Thank you Casey...
Can you tell me what "top sash guide" is compatible with part number S390-2?
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, top sash guides are not determined by the type of balance the window uses. If you could show us photos of an undamaged guide removed from the window, along with written-out dimensions, we'd be happy to confirm if we carry a suitable replacement. 

Okay. thank you.

BB
A quick learner says:
Hi..
I recently purchased 16 channel balances S390-29 Option:2820 against PO #1918440.
The parts are correct EXCEPT that the metal Channel length is 29".
The ACTUAL metal Channel length
Of the old/existing parts is 27 1/2". This is what I need.
The weight of the heaviest sash is 12 lbs, so I may not need the 2820 Option.
Can you direct me to the correct replacement part number?

Also, Can you please identify the plastic part that I will need to replace? It comes from the bottom sash and is located on both sides near the top .

Thanks for your help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220823_154600.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220823_151501.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220823_151556.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220823_151634.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220823_154622.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

I'm sorry to hear that your balances were incorrect. We hear of this happening from time to time where someone replaces the original balances with balances they happen to have on hand and cut them down to size, which means that the strength option was most likely wrong from the get-go. You can find our return policy for the balances you already purchased here

We can supply the 27-1/2" S390 balances that you need to support a 12-pound sash, but it will need to be a custom order. Just let us know if you would like to order the same quantity of 16 balances or if you would like to start with a smaller quantity. 

As for your top sash guide, take a look and compare the dimensions of the 18-031 to your part. Thank you! 

A quick learner from Devens,Ma says:

Hi Casey..

Thank you for your feedback.

FYI, in removing an existing channel guide, I found one that happens to be 27" in length, unlike the other ones that ARE 27 1/2" long.

Assuming I can use the 27" channel length for all, will that still require a custom build???

Can you please quote me with price breaks up to 20 of each?

Looks like the 18-301 will work!

, Thanks again,

Bob 

Profile picture of Casey

I'm not sure why one of your windows has a 27" balance but if the rest use 27-1/2" balances, then you would need the same length to replace them. We will work on getting you a price quote for 20 custom balances. 

In the meantime, you should confirm if all of the windows with this channel length have the same 12-pound sash. If they are heavier or lighter, our custom balances would not work. Since these are non-refundable, it's good to confirm that all of the details are correct before placing an order. 

If you would like to try purchasing the S390-27 to replace the 27" balances that you found, pricing can be found directly on our product page and you can also use the chart under the product description to confirm the correct strength option based on your sash weight. 

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.