Channel Rod For 2 Double Hung Storm Window

A home owner from Ardsley NY says:

Hello,

The pictures depict the rod that allows the inside upper window to slide up and down and keeps it in place. I don't know the name of the part and the manufacture of the window. The windows were installed in my home about 20 years ago and they are slidine down on their own. The company that installed 16 windows in my home is no longer in business. If you can find a replacement, I'll need enough for 4 windows at this point in time.

A few years ago you were able to match up the locks for the same windows..

Let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you,

Bruce

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190513_103321-1080x1440.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190513_103332-1080x1440.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190513_103346-1080x1440.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190513_103420-1080x1440.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190513_103430-1080x1440.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Looks like you want to replace your spiral balances. Confirm that the outer tube, not including the tip, is 22" long; that's what it looks like to my eyes, but photos can be deceiving, so be sure to check for yourself. You also will need the diameter of that outer tube. It should either be 3/8" or 5/8". It looks like 5/8" to me, but again, that's just an estimate. Confirm and let us know if that's the case. If so, you'll need the S600-28 Spiral Balance for Tilt Windows. It looks you'll need the blue tip option, which is for a window sash in the weight range of 10 through 29 lbs. Let us know if you have any questions.

Hello Bob,

I apologize for the late reply.

The rod length is accurate end to end not including the tip- 22". However the inside diameter is not exact. The rod in warped. I got a 7/16" measurement which I think is the 3/8 version. I attached a pictures for you to use to assist me on this.

There are 3 pictures attached.

Thank you,

Bruce
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named RodTipColor.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Rod Diameter .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Rod Diameter 1.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Can you confirm the diameter? Looking at your second photo, it looks like it's over 1/2". That would make it our Series 600.

Bob,
I asked another more experienced person to check the diameter. He is certain despite the warped condition that it is 3/8".

Please tell me if you have it available and how much it will cost. If it is correct, I will order more and replace the other worn out rods.

Thank you,
Bruce
Profile picture of Bob

In that case, we recommend our Series 900 spiral balance for a replacement.

Bob,
I finally compared the Series 900 Spiral Balance that I purchased to the one that it is supposed to replace. The original is about 1.5 times the diameter larger.
Can I return the items that were purchased and include my original rod so you can use it to get me the exact replacement?

Thank you,
Bruce
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Bruce. Ah, I was afraid this might be the case. Sorry to hear the Series 900 didn't work out. You can see our Return Policy here. To be honest, there is really only one other option that this balance could be: our S600-22 with the blue tip. The outer tube for this balance has a diameter of 5/8". Look it over and let me know if this is what you have. 

Bob,
I ordered 2 S600-22 spiral balances and 2 15-015 pivot shoes.
Are the pivot shoes correct?

Thanks,
Bruce
Profile picture of Bob

Hi Bruce. I can't really say if the pivot shoes are correct, because they vary greatly from window to window. Does the cam shape, width and thickness of your old shoe match the 15-015? These are the most crucial specifications. If you're uncertain, show us a picture of your old shoe, and give us the width and thickness. Many thanks. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.