Channel balance

A quick learner from Granbury says:
I need to repair or replace sashes on 13 Jardan single hung windows. I recently purchaed the home. I looked at one of the sashes and it is stamped 2830F. Is this the same part as a he 2830? Once I investigate and have the bottom line I will place an order.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image3.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image6.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. To clear up some terminology: the window sash is the movable part of the window with the glass. What you're showing in your photos are Channel Balances, spring-loaded metal channels that enable the opening and closing of the window, as well as Top Sash Guides, the plastic pieces at the top of the window sash that keep the channel balances in place during window operation. If you need help replacing both parts, we can certainly help you. For your Top Sash Guide, see our 18-182 to begin. Just go over all the dimensions to ensure it's a match. 

For your channel balance, the stamp code 2830F will be helpful for determining the balance's spring strength; but to determine the actual identity of the balance, we need to see a picture of the nylon attachment at the other end of the balance (you show just the bottom nylon shoe in your photos); the length of the metal channel, not including the nylon attachments at either end, would be good to confirm as well. From there, we can narrow down what you need. Many thanks. 

The 18-182 looks like the right part.
The I attached a picture of nylon attachment at the top of the balance. The metal channel is 29" (without the nylon pieces). You didn't include a picture of the other broken piece that I will call the pulley anchor (I need at least 1). Most of the 13 windows appear to only need the Top Sash Guide and some need the nylon attachment at the top of the Channel Balance. I would rather repair these Channel Balances instead of replacing them. That would include replacing any bent or broken rivets.
Thank you,
Steve
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0593.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me Steve. Based on the both attachments and the length of the metal channel, this is either an S351-29 or an S390-29. The only difference between these two balances is the 'depth' of the bottom nylon shoe. For the Series 351, the bottom shoe is 1" deep. For the Series 390, the bottom shoe depth is 1-1/8". Compare both to your old balances to see what matches best. You will need to choose a stamp option of 2830.

The cord and spring system within these channel balances are not sold separately, nor are they meant to be installed individually. The main bodies of these channel balances are manufactured as one part; when they break, it means the entire balance has failed and needs to be replaced. Now, as far as the top nylon attachments go, you could go ahead and replace them with our 19-005. But this is a pretty involved process, as the video below demonstrates. Frankly I think it would be easier to just replace the channel balances. Still, take a look below and see what you think.

A bit of confusion. You said the S351 bottom shoe depth is 1" and the S390 shoe depth is 1-1/8". I'm measuring 7/8". Am I missing something?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_0595.JPG
Profile picture of Bob

I apologize for the confusion. It looks like you're measuring the top fitting, not the bottom fitting. You want to measure the depth of your bottom balance shoe to determine which balance would work best as a match. I am going to place the bottom balance shoe of both balances below for you to review and see which shoe is most compatible to yours. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion you may have had. 

Comparison of 15-001 & 15-002
Comparison of 15-001 & 15-002
I ordered Channel Balances and the Plastic Top Guides for half the windows (6). They arrived via FedEx. Installation was a breeze with no problems. Today I will place an order for the remaining windows. Thanks!
Profile picture of Bob

That's great news! I'm very happy to hear it. Thank you so much for ordering with us. If you ever need anything else, let me know.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.