Channel balance difficulties

A quick learner from Sugar land says:
I have a heavy tilt sash window (44" wide) that I took out for cleaning. I wanted to see what kind of channel balance I would need if I ever wanted to replace it. I was surprised to have discovered that there are no channel balance. All I could see were tilt lock shoes which, when unlocked, would just freely slide up and down the track. There were also plastic guides inside the track that were permanently attached. I expected to see a spiral spring or something like a pulley to counteract the weight of the window but there was no such a thing. How is this possible? I thought that channel balances are used in all types of sash windows, including tilt windows.

Is my window "unusual", not normal? I am hoping that perhaps you could answer my question.

Thanks, Andre

PS. The windows were all installed in 2006 and the brochure that came with them says that they were made by Home Craftsman, a Texas company. I was unsuccessful trying to reach their customer support.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Andre. It is pretty weird that your window has no balances whatsoever. Does it just slide back down after you open it? It's possible someone who repaired the window in the past threw them out, I see that all the time.

Do you have an identical window in the house that may still have its hardware? If not, can you show me a picture of the pivot shoe you mentioned? I'd also like to see a picture of the window itself. Finally, check around the inside frame for a metallic AAMA sticker. If we can see that, we may be able to figure out the make, which would be a huge help.
A quick learner from Sugar Land, TX says:
I have many other identical windows in my house and they all look the same (no visible balancer!) yet they seem to have a balancer system because they lift effortlessly. Only this one does not. It stopped working only after we tried to open it and take the sash out. Then when we put it back the balancers don't balance, on both sides.

I am attaching the picture of the window showing the track and the shoe at the bottom.

This single hung window, like the rest of them in my house, was made by Home Craftsman (Dallas, TX). They were installed in 2006.

The sticker info:

Manufacturer Stipulates Conformance to:
NFRC 100/200
AAMA/NWWDA 101/I.S.2-97
ASTM F 588
Code H-713-1
Rating H-R35/50
Series 8110SH
MST 4060/3060
NFRC
ALE-1-044
05-M
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Ah, okay. You have a coil type balance, not a channel balance. The springs are located in the white housing near the top of your picture in the window track. We should be able to help. Can you just show me a clear picture of the pivot shoe? This is the part you focus on in the second picture, but it is too obscured to make out. Seeing it out of the window would be a huge help. See the video below for more information.
A quick learner from Sugar Land, TX says:
Thanks, Tom. I've made a picture of the pivot shoe that is on another exactly the same window but this one is not broken. I have also removed the coil from the window that is broken. It is 1/2" wide. The coil itself seems fine, the stamp says *5.5 and 35 (would it mean 5.5lbs per coil and 35" coil length?).

I have attached the photos of the pivot shoe and the coil. Please, let me know if you have a pivot shoe that would attach to the coil, or would I need to replace all coils and pivot shoes.
Thank you!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Thank you. That looks like our 15-191 pivot shoe, which is compatible with our S160-5 coil spring. See what you think. As for what needs to be replaced, I'm not sure. If you open the window, and it drops down as if there is nothing holding it up, then you need new springs. The shoe doesn't have any bearing on how the sash is support, it just acts as a pivot to connect the sash to the springs. The springs are the ones doing most of the work.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.