Channel balance install problems

A quick learner from Florida says:

I bought a pair of S385-24 balances, along with a 90-180 sash lock.

The double photo shows the new balance and obviously the clip didn't hold the balance as I raised the window up.

What I did, is as follows:

I removed the window sash as per the instructions on your video. I did not have to remote the old balances since they were already out and somewhat broken. The clips on both sides were flat against the frame.

I proceeded to take out the clips on both sides of the window and installed the balances as per your video. All was fine the balances were held by the clips as shown in your video. I proceeded to install the window sash.

I started at the top and the sash went in ok (but with some wiggling). Proceeded to lower the sash all the way down but the right-side bottom of the balance appeared to be outside the sash channel.

I lifted the sash to see if I could reposition the bottom plastic part of the balance into the channel and when I pushed the sash further up, the right balance went up and out of the sash as the picture shows. When I tried lowering the sash is when the left side clip popped out and lodged on the channel.

I did try taking it out with needle nose pliers but is wedged pretty good and started to deform. I think I may need new clips.

I was able to install the new lock and the window is locked but will not move.

At this point, it appears I need to install a new clip before trying to remove the jammed one, I welcome your suggestions

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image2 (3) balance stuck.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1 (7).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0 (10).jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image1 (6) (1).jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for your patience during this busy summer. I appreciate your thorough description of the issue, this is a huge help.

Reviewing your description and the photos provided, it looks like the balance isn't being held in place by the top sash guide like it should. The top sash guide is the white plastic piece installed on the top two corners of the sash. 

Normally, the balance shoots to the top of the track only when the top sash guide breaks, but in your case I see no visible damage. Can you confirm? It's probably in whole condition but it can't hurt to be 100% sure. See if there are any visible cracks or pieces broken off of the top sash guide.

If your top sash guide is in good condition, though, then that complicates matters. It's entirely possible that your window frame is out of square, which is no good. There aren't a lot of easy solutions for that. 

Please give me a little more time to look into this and I'll get back to you ASAP. I want to get some other eyes on this and see if anyone has a trick up their sleeve. In the meantime, please let me know if my assessment is at all incorrect and we can adjust accordingly.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hey there, maybe I can help. The way you describe your installation of the balances, it seems your sash had a lot of play with both balances in place as you brought the sash down. Especially since one balance shot up pass the top sash guide. Are those top sash guides original or damaged? If any part of them are cracked or chipped away, then they may not be able to hold the balance in place like they ought to.

A quick learner from Florida says:
Hi Tom & Paul, thanks for your comments and help. I will contact you guys next week after I try the new retainer clips I just received as I try to dislodge the clip on the left side and the balance on the right.
Wish me luck.
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.