Channel balance length of 20-5/8"

Contractor from AZ
Oct 24, 2012 3:46 pm
I have identified the appropriate channel balance for my milgard windows with the 19-005 top and 15-004 shoe, however my existing channels measure 20-5/8" not 21". Is this 3/8" delta a problem or should I be looking at another channel?

The channel stamp is "B.S.I. 20 4 OV"
User submitted photos of a window balance.
8 Replies
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Oct 25, 2012 9:06 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Thanks for posting! I don't believe that you have our 15-004 shoe. Yours is a special shoe that is only available through a custom order. I'd be more than happy to set one up for you, but I just need to see one last thing.

There should be a metal clip at the end of the string. Could I see a few pictures of it? I'll need to identify it before we can move on with the custom order.
Contractor from AZ
Oct 25, 2012 12:30 pm
Thanks for your timely response. Attached are the photo's you requested. Additionally, I have included photo's of the top sash guides which I will need as well. In total, I need 6 channel balances and 6 sash guides.
Thank You
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Nov 8, 2012 2:00 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT
Thank you for posting additional detailed images.
For the top sash guide, we recommend taking a look at SWISCO product code 18-008, this could work as a possible substitute.
As for the needed replacement window balances, I will email you a custom ordering link shortly.
Handy Person from Long beach
Jan 17, 2014 2:35 am
I have the same top, shoe and metal clip as this original poster. My balance says 25 5 BSI. Does that mean that I can't use the parts he mentioned (I was going to order those same parts). I won't spend too much on custom parts, so I'm hoping they work. Also, the balances are way to strong for the window. They should be about a 25 2.
Tom
Tom from SWISCO
Jan 17, 2014 8:24 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
Unfortunately, our S385-21 will not work for you. These balance systems are very specific and very delicate, and you'll need the hardware that was precisely made for your window.

I would be happy to help you get what you need, but since your existing balances are too strong we will need a bit more information. Can you give me the weight of your window sash? That will help us find the appropriate stamp option.
Handy Person from Long beach
Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm
My sash weighs 11 or 12 lbs.
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Jan 30, 2014 9:34 am
SWISCO
EXPERT
I will email you a custom balance ordering link shortly!
Contractor from Arizona
Jan 30, 2014 10:09 am
Just thought I would let you all know parts ordered and sent based on your help are working great. Additionally, even though the parts required custom order the price was surprisingly reasonable.
Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts