Channel balance tucks under a flange

A quick learner from USA says:
We bought our house in 2003 and it's been a horror.
Most of the windows in the house don't work. We keep tall baby powder bottles near them to keep them open. In seventeen years it never once occurred to me to fix the windows. We just always assumed that we'd eventually just save enough money and replace them "one day."

Your video said to send pics and give measurements.

My balances do not look anything like the ones in your videos. I just opened one window, and the channel balance is not removable. It seems to have a flange at the top that runs in track in the window frame that keeps it in place and there doesn't seem to be a way to remove it except to squeeze the balance at those flanges (which I didn't do). The balances are twenty three inches long. Inside one of them, hanging from the top is a spring that is twelve inches long. Inside the bottom of both of the balances is a pulley on a pivot. I did not see any lettering or marks on the balances except for the three holes on the sides on the top that were two inches apart.

The top window is fixed. To remove the bottom window I unclip it from the bottom, lift it and slide it to the left or right and the pivot the opposite towards me.

Inside the track where the balance rides up and down there are two rectangular... divots? holes? ... at which the middle of them is exactly where the top of the balance rests when the balance is on the bottom of the window frame. I haven't got a clue as to their purpose.

Also included is a pic of the window latch, which I thought might help identify the window.

The house was built in 1977, and we are guessing that these windows are original windows.

Hopefully these things *are* repairable, and won't cost a fortune...
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200604_201724.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200604_201737.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200604_201924.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200604_202219.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

We should be able to supply replacements for your balances but we will need to see it removed. Most balances are removable but some are simpler than others. Take a look at our video below for step by step instructions. Thank you!

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.