Channel balance window falls out

A home owner from Illinois says:

I just spoke to your customer service and am following up with photos of my issue.

I inherited these windows in a home I bought.

I've seen Swisco's channel balance install video. Looks similar, but not the same model, and we don't have takeout clips in our windows.

Basically, the channel is not staying in the window and is left at the top when we pull the window down. I think the sash guide is not holding it in place.

The chat link you sent me sounds like the same problem. I'm able to install them fine they just don't stay in. Attached is picture of the clip holes in window jamb.

As I stated, the channel balances are not traveling with the window and staying in the channel. Not sure if it's the balances or the top sash guides or both. I don't know much about it, but it seems like the two are not staying connected via the little lip.

I've attached a bunch of pictures. I'd love to get this sorted out asap, as one of the windows already fell out of the frame and nearly landed on my baby!

There are 10 windows that I would like to update.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named LouKarsen 1 shoe  guide connection.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named LouKarsen 3A balance top.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named LouKarsen 4 ts guide.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named LouKarsen 2 shoe.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named LouKarsen 5.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Thanks for submitting these photos. I do recognize this balance and we can supply it, though it has to be a custom order due to its configuration. What you have here is called a "rivetless extended channel balance," named for its extra-long cord and the method by which the nylon fittings snap into the metal channel.

Before we go any further, I just had a few points I'd like you to clarify to make sure we get everything right. These are non-refundable, after all, so I like to be thorough.

• To start, what is the length of the metal channel? Make sure to only measure the metal channel and do not include the nylon fittings. It should end in a 7/8" increment (17-7/8", 30-7/8", etc.), which is the only sizing option we can supply. I've seen other size increments like 1/4" or even 1/2" but these are unfortunately unavailable to us.
  • Next, can you confirm what the stamp reads? It looks like it might say 25 4 but I want to be 100% sure.
  • Finally, how many did you need altogether?

Once I have that information, and assuming that you have a size that we can supply, then we can get the ball rolling on a purchase.

You also mentioned the take out clip, but the type used on this window is unfortunately not something we can get a hold of. I've tried very hard to track it down but have never had any luck. The only option I can suggest is to drill a hole a little bit above where the old clip went and then install a screw there, making sure it sticks up a little. This will work the same exact way as a take-out clip and you can just remove them when you're done. It's not ideal but it's the only solution we have.

Thanks for your help Tom. Unfortunately it looks like the channel is 25 1/2" if I'm measuring correctly, photo attached.

If this is true, do I have any other recourse in solving this?

Thanks,

Lou
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 07328E74-0D71-422E-9DB8-02695184354E.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

That does appear to be the case. That's very unfortunate. 

I really wish we could get these off-size lengths but so far they have been very hard to source. All we can provide right now are the 7/8" increments, which are going to be just a bit too big: the issue you'd face in using these is that the balance would stick out of the bottom of the sash a little, which will prevent you from opening the window.

My recommendation for your next stop would be to try to contact the original manufacturer directly. I don't know for sure if they will point you in the right direction, but I just don't know where else these off-size balances come from.

I am very sorry that we can't be of more assistance. 

Dang, what a bummer. Felt like we were so close to solving it. Thanks for all the help at any rate
Profile picture of Tom

I was happy to help, of course. I'm just sorry we weren't able to get you the hardware you needed. Best of luck with your repair.

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.