Channel balances

A quick learner from Islip says:
I have Bonneville double hung windows throughout my house. The company went out of business a few years ago and I can not find anyone that sells replacement parts. I presently have 8 windows that the balance has been broken. And three of those, the left and right balance has been broken. I am very handy but will not know all the terms. I am a retired FDNY fireman so I can follow instructions to the letter. I have a lot of tools and know how to use them. I just need help telling me how to remove the balance so I do not break anything. Can you help?

Here are some pictures. When I refer to the 'unit' I am referring to the entire 3 1/2 inch wide (picture) by 46 1/4 inches (tapering to a 46 3/4 inches) tall nylon piece that is on the side of the window that has both balances in them.

It appears that the balance does not screw into the frame but rather has a strap that hooks onto the top of the 'unit' that goes on the sides of the windows. I saw the tech remove these 'units' a few years ago and I think that he pulled them out from the bottom and replaced the whole 'unit' rather than just the balance that was broken. The only way that I can see to do this is to pry out the bottom with a screwdriver (picture) and pull out the unit. There is a 'tab' on the side of the 'unit' that holds it in place in the window. (picture) I have not done this beyond a couple of inches because I am afraid that I might break something and have a large opening in my house.

The opening that allow the pin and block to ride up and down is approximately 3/8 of an inch wide (picture). The block has a metal piece that is attached to it that has a point on both sides of the block that prevent it from shooting up when the sash is removed (picture). The balances have different markings on them. The ones for the 46 inch tall lower window is "UNIQUE 22-C-30" and the upper windows are "UNIQUE 20-C-30" and the 64 inch tall windows are marked "UNIQUE 30-D-40" for the lower and "UNIQUE 28-D-40" for the upper
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hello! Let me try to help. With the sashes removed, the jamb liners should come out, since they're held in by the pressure of the sashes.

However, I don't see the tab you are talking about, unless you mean the black spring pull pin that holds the screen in the frame. Is that what you're referring to?

As for the balance, the manufacturer, Unique, has gone out of business, but we can still help.

For the 22-C-30, you would need S751-23 with a spring weight of "22R" for a sash 10 to 18 pounds in weight. For 20-C-30, use S751-21 and "20R." For 30-D-40, use S751-31 with "30HD," and for 28-D-40, use S751-29 with "28HD."

After you remove the jamb liners, to remove the ribbed balances, you can press the metal knife latch into the balance shoe, releasing its grip from the jamb liner side, so you can finally slide the balance out.
A quick learner from Islip says:
Sorry for the rough drawing but it was the best that I can do. It is not to scale and is a top view of the what I believe is the 'jamb liner'. I can not get an actual picture of it because I am afraid of breaking any part of the window, like the wood or 'jamb liner', by removing it without some kind of professional advice. As I said before, I saw the tech from The Window Network remove these 'jamb liners' years ago and I believe that he pried out the bottom and pulled out the 'jamb liner' from the bottom to the top. I think he replaced them the opposite way, from the top to the bottom.

I called them tabs but they could also be considered wings. They protrude from the far outside of the 'jamb liner' to hold the 'jamb liner' in place when you remove the sashes. These tabs fit into a grove between the outer window frame and a wood piece that is on the inner part of the window.
User submitted a diagram of window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this type of jamb liner. The company who made it, Unique, went out of business. I suggest you go to your nearest mill work and have them give you names of local professionals that work with jamb liners to check it out.
A quick learner from Long Island, NY says:
Once I get the liners out, can you get me the balances that would replace the current ones?
Profile picture of Paul
Yes. The balances, we can get.
A quick learner from Ct says:
do you have a Bonneville window wood exterior rough opening chart?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

We unfortunately don't have the kind of chart you're describing, no. For that kind of data you would need to contact the original maker of the window directly.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.