Clips and Fasteners for Exterior Single Piece Storm Windows

A home owner from Wilmette says:
Hello,

We bought an old house and have discovered that the majority of the exterior storm windows are held in with paint, hope and a plastic clip or two. The rest of the clips are long gone. We were going to repair it, but the clips are not held in by screws and we can't figure out what the "holder" is and how to remove it so we can add new clips. The "not-a-screw" is metal and doesn't seem to twist using a pliers (we didn't want to force it).

Any insight would be massively appreciated!

Thanks!

Annie
User submitted photos of a storm door insert clip.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
I believe the fastener that you show in your photo is a type of pop rivet like the 33-005. The clip kind of reminds me of either our 70-053 or the 70-209, but I'm not sure. See if you could use either of these.
A home owner from Wilmette says:
Dave-- THANKS! One thing: how do we get the old ones off? We can't figure out a way to attach replacement plastic clips without taking the old rivets off.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
You would have to drill out the old rivets. See our video on how the new ones would install.
How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
How to install a threaded rivnut for a wood window frame
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 70-014 window screen clip
How to install the 70-014 window screen clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.