Coil Balance Assistance

A handy person from McCormick SC. says:
I am having problems with my Reliabuit 3301 window. The balance cam peg that holds the coil spring broke off. I watched your video so I can replace it if you have one. The window is large and has 3 coils. How do the coils tie together?

Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 301.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 300.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 299.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in. Hm, I'm afraid I'm not sure about the identity of this pivot shoe from this picture alone. I'd like to see a picture of the pivot shoe out of the window; I'd also like to know the width and thickness of the shoe, as well as the thickness of the coil springs. From there, we'll try and narrow down what you need. Many thanks.

Bob, thanks for getting back to me. I removed the pivot shoe and the springs. From looking at the other side of the window it looks like the 3 coil springs are one piece. The other side looks like it has broken into 2 pieces. I'm no longer sure about the brand of the window. The previous owner left receipts for all the windows except the sun room where I need parts. The shoe is 32mm wide, 14mm thick and 31mm tall. The coil springs are 13mm wide. I have attached pictures
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190829_143643.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190829_143654.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190829_143824.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190829_143856.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Many thanks for your correspondence. We have a similar set up of a coil balance system. Instead of the coil spring hooking on the pivot shoe hook, the Series 160 coil springs have a "T" end that hooks in the top hole of the pivot shoe. Thus, you would use our 15-191 pivot shoe with the Series 160 coil springs. The spring weights go from S160-3 to S160-10. You would match your old coil spring numbers when ordering. If you are uncertain, weigh your window sash. Provide us that exact weight, and we can work out what you need. 

Thanks for you help. The sash weighs 34 lbs. It has 3 coils on one side, 2 6s (or 9s) and 1 5. I assume they are 6 because 6+6+5 = 17. Times 2 equals 34. Your S160s come in half sizes. How do I get 17?

Thanks
Profile picture of Paul

Hmm... I would go with two S160-6 and one S160-4 on each side, which comes out to 17.5 lbs. I don't think being 1/2 lbs. off is going to hurt. Let me know your thoughts.

Great. That's what I will order.
Thank you!
Profile picture of Paul

Great, thank you! Please let us know how it works out, or if you had any further questions.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.