Coil Balance Help

A home owner from Florence, KY says:
I need 4 coil springs #5.5 64". I ordered S160-5 and they are only 35". How do we correct this?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190507_170619.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190507_170748.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. I think we can help with this, though we don't have anything quite as long as your original springs. When window coil balances were first developed, manufacturers all made them in different lengths. Eventually they realized that window companies didn't want to stock a large inventory of every kind of size there is, so the design was universally simplified and coil springs were then only made in lengths of 35". 

To use our 35" long coil springs on your sash, first close the window and use a pencil mark the track where the tilt latch location is. Now remove the the sash and slide in your pivot shoe with the coil spring as if you were installing it, but bring it down to that pencil mark. You'll want to drill a hole to secure the coil spring housing just below the tilt latch mark. That way it won't interfere with the operation of the window. Bring down the tilt shoe a few inches and lock it in place. 

Let me know what you think of this solution!

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.