Coil Balance Replacement

A home owner from Winston Salem, NC says:
Window is roughly 60x30. Bottom sash is half that. The coil balance is Bronze. But I'm not sure what length is required. Looking at the photos on your website, I think series 175 coil balance is required. Can you determine the length with the info that I gave?

Please let me know.

Thanks, Steve
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN0091.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN0095.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN0089.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named DSCN0090.JPG
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi, Steve.

This isn't the Series 175. You actually have the 15-180 shoe which uses the Series 190 coil springs. There should be a number stamped on the original coil that indicates the strength option. If not, you'll need to remove and weigh your window sash. Then, you'll divide the weight by the number of coils on both sides of the window to determine the correct strength option. 

If you have any questions just let me know!

Hi Emily.

I couldn't locate a number on the coil. So, I pulled the window. It weighs appx 18 lbs. I have 1 coil on each side. So what do I need to get? Of course I'll need two. Do you recommend replacing the other parts?

Steve
Profile picture of Emily

Were you able to get an exact sash weight? These are delicate systems and approximate weights will not suffice, I'm afraid. Choosing the wrong spring weight would make the window harder to close and may even raise up on its own. If you can give me the precise sash weight, I can work out what you need.

You also only need to replace what's broken so, for example, if your pivot shoe is in good shape you can re-use it. 

Emily,

I weighed the sash. It was 18 pounds, according to my scale. And that's a new scale.

Steve
Profile picture of Emily

Great! In that case, you can use one S190-940 9 pound coil on each side of the window which will total 18 pounds of overall support. 

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.