Coil Balance Spring for Certainted Double hung Window

A home owner from NJ says:
Both coil balance springs broke on a Certainteed double hung window. The only number I see stamped on the coil is 10. Is there a Model S170-410? or will a S170-409 be compatible.

GM
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Unfortunately, I'm not able to confirm the series of coil you need without first seeing the coil you have now. If you would like to send us over a photo of the coil and the pivot lock shoe it attaches you, we'd be happy to help further.

I took the window apart:

1. A186160 pivot lock shoe
2. Short tongue SS 3/4" stamped 10 J
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid we don't have a 10 pound spring for this balance system. The 9 pound spring may work, but it will be a little weak.

Another solution would be to use two 5 pound springs. Specifically, our S170-405 on the bottom and an S171-405 on top. You'd also need a new 15-156 cover and 15-157 bushing. See what you think.

Thanks for the response. Both springs broke on the lower sash whuch are independent of the upper sash; so I don't think 2 5 lbs springs are correct. The window is closed 98% of the time and just needs to hold the window open so it does not fall down immediately. I think the 9 pound spring would be acceptable. What do you think?

GM
Profile picture of Tom

If you don't think the original springs were the right calibration, then you should weigh your sash on a scale and be 100% sure. That's the only way to know for sure that what you're buying will work. 

Once you have the exact weight of the sash, you simply divide it between the number of springs used to support it.

I hate guessing when it comes to balances. I've been personally burned too many times whenever I try. In my experience it's always better to know what you're dealing with and get the precise weight of the sash; measure  twice, cut once and all that.

The window sash weighed ~ 18 lbs measured on a bathroom scale. A 9 lb coil balance should do the job for both sides. Do you agree?

GM
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, okay then! If your window sash weighs 18 lbs, and assuming you're working with Series 170 Coil Springs, then (2) of the S170-409 will work for you.

Thanks for the continued discussion in hopes of getting it right the first time.

Many thanks! I will place the order for (2) S170-409 coil balance springs.

GM
Profile picture of Tom

Great! Always my pleasure to help. Let us know if you have any other questions. Thanks for your business, we really do appreciate it.

Recived the replacement coil springs today. Installed them in less than 10 minutes, window works like new again!

Thanks again and I will certainly recommend SWISCO to others.

GM
Profile picture of Tom

We are so happy to hear that everything has worked out for you. We look forward to working with you on your next project. 

Profile picture of Tom

That's awesome, thank you! We appreciate your kind words and look forward to hearing from you again. If you ever need anything else, you know where to find us.

SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.