Coil Spring Snapped

A home owner from Jeffersonville Indiana says:
Hello. I'm sure it's due to abuse on our part (I have three boys under the age of 6), but I'm not sure how it snapped to begin with. Was it just not being mindful when cleaning the window, and putting it back in?
Anyways, these were the builder windows (single hung? I can take the bottom out, but not the top) original to the house (built around 2005). There are no markings besides what is on this sticker in the photos. If you could help me find the right spring replacement I would really appreciate it.
Thank you.
Sara
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting, Sara. Your pivot shoe looks like our 15-180 Coil Balance Shoe; to be safe, carefully go over the dimensions listed on the product page to make sure they match your old part. This pivot shoe is compatible with our Series 190 Coil Springs. See if there are stamps on your old springs that indicate the weight they need to support; if not, let us know and we can help you choose the springs you need.  

I've looked all over the spring and have not found a number. And the 180 series does look right. How do I choose which lb?
Profile picture of Bob

So, without a stamp on the old spring we're going to need to give you a little homework. I need you to remove the sash from the window and place it on a scale. Give me its exact weight, as precisely as you are able. Then, tell me how many springs are used on each side of the sash in total. We can use that information to calculate the proper strength of your springs.

So I did some measuring and weighing. The shoe is not an exact measurements to the original. Is there another one with similar design and different measurements? The top width of the shoe is 15/16, the bottom is 1 3/16, the length is 1 7/8, and depth is 17/32. The coil itself measures 1/2 in wide. So is it close enough to not matter, or do I need to find a different spring?
Profile picture of Bob

I know the shoe isn't exactly the same, but our 15-180 will still work. Yours is just an older version.

All we need now is the weight of the sash and the number of springs you have on each side.

It is roughly 15 lbs, and there is one coil on each side.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Great! In that case, I recommend our S190-840. Each of these can carry 8 pounds, so using one on each side should work well for your sash. I'm confident this will work with your existing pivot shoe, too.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.