Coil Spring bent

A handy person from USA says:
One shows just the bent coil, another shows all of the parts used, and the third shows the other side, installed. I have the lighter spring on the top, so behind the heavier spring, if that makes any difference.

Let me know what is going on, I have installed many of these and more are needed. Most of the windows in our complex are broken, and there are many other complexes with these windows installed around here.

Thanks,
Chris

These are the S-160-9 and S-160-3
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting. It's possible the springs you purchased were not the correct strength fo your sash. Can you tell me how heavy your sash is?
A home owner from Mytle Beach says:
I used two springs on each side, a 9.5 lb and a 3.5 lb for a total of 26 lb.s. The 3.5 lb is the bent one. The sash weighs 22.8 lbs. I am now operating it with 3 springs - two 9.5's and one 3.5, and it works fine.

I have this setup on 9 windows now, this is the only one with a problem, so far.
A handy person from Myrtle Beach, SC says:
If you did not get my earlier reply, the sash is 22.8 lb.s.

I wonder if the lubricant used might be the problem?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I think you had too much spring tension for your sash weight. The difference between 22 pounds and 26 pounds isn't an awful lot, but it may have been too much in this case. Plus you combined a 9.5 pound spring and a 3.5 pound spring, which may be a little too unbalanced. You may want to consider a combination of the S160-6 and S160-5 instead. This will support 24 pounds, which is a little less, and the two springs are closer in strength.
A handy person from Myrtle Beach, SC says:
Thanks. I did wonder if the tension difference would be an issue. I will use your recommendation from now on.
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.