Coil Window Balancer

A handy person from NY says:
Good afternoon

Try to replace the 2 window balancers shown in the photo.. Window in question is 24"x 33"..

I cant seem to find any numbers on the coils themselves.

Any way you can point me in the right direction??

Thanks
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190617_143408.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190617_143433.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. This looks our 15-192. This pivot shoe is compatible with our Series 170 and Series 171 Coil Springs. If you have more than one spring on each side of the sash, the Series 171 sits on top of the Series 170, with a longer tongue to reach around to connect to the shoe. If your springs don't have stamps, give us the exact weight of your window sash, and we'll be able to calculate what you need.

Thanks for the response..

The Coil springs do not have any markings at all on them, i'm guessing that they are work off..

There is one coil on each side of the sash and each window weighs approx 20lbs.

Thank you
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. We don't have any spring for the Series 170 that hold 10 lbs individually; but it's not uncommon to end up using more coil springs than you did before, depending on the age of the original springs, so that's not an issue. I would advise that you try to get the exact weight of the window sash before we go any further, however. There might be a margin of + or - 1 lb to play with, but it's really too risky to guess this otherwise, as then the coil balances may fail to support your window. If you can provide the exact window sash weight, we can go from there. Many thanks! 

Thanks again for the response..

The exact weight of the window is 20.2 lbs

Hope this helps to resolve the issue.

Thanks again
Profile picture of Bob

OK, thanks for confirming the exact weight for me. Just best to be safe! In this case, I would use (2) of the S170-405 5 lb Spring Weights on both sides of the window sash. This would equal 10 lbs of support on both sides of the sash, for a total of 20 lbs of support overall. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Thanks for the info..

I guess when attaching them to the pivot shoe, I would "spool" both together then on both sides?
(Meaning unwind and wind the 2 together as 1 unit)

Thank you
Profile picture of Bob

Ahh, let me clarify. First of all, I was wrong in my previous post. You will have (1) of the S170-405 and (1) of the S171-405 on each side of the sash. You use the Series 171 for the 'second' coil spring on each side of the sash since it has a longer tongue to reach past the Series 170 to attach to the pivot shoe. Apologies for the oversight on my part. At any rate, the coil springs would be stacked one atop the other, and would then wind or unwind as needed with the travel of the sash itself. Let me know if this makes sense. 

Thanks for the clarification..

so having 2 coils will give the support that I need, but I will also need to change the coil support to mount the second coil.. correct?

if so, which would i need to get that would fit in the window frame?

Thanks
Profile picture of Bob

In the case of these types of coil springs, you can use the 15-156 and 15-157 to house both coils individually. These will work for both the Series 170 and Series 171

Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for posting. I'm honestly not entirely sure what this stamp number represents, but in any case, our best replacement option is what I recommended: (1) of the S170-405 and (1) of the S171-405, on each side of the sash. 

So after cleaning up a few of the coils I finally found a part number on one of them

its 3610 with an SA under the number
(see attached photo)

Thanks again for all the help
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20190624_144417.jpg
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.