Coil balance spring broken

A handy person from Fort Collins, Colorado says:

Hello,

I have older Traco double hung windows in my home and in one window the left coil balance spring plastic assembly is broken. This window has two .5 inch wide springs per side and only the bottom spring moves on the left side when the window is lowered, both springs move on the right side. I would like to replace the broken assembly. I have included photos of both sides for comparison and the left side shows the break. You probably need part numbers from the springs to make an exact match but I was hoping you could tell from the photo if you sell this type spring. I have not removed the spring assembly yet because there are no cut outs in the jamb and I don't have a jamb spreader tool. Would you recommend cutting a slot in the jamb or using a spreader tool? I don't mind purchasing a spreader tool, there may be more windows that need this repair and it seems like the easiest method as long as it doesn't crack the jamb. I hope this is enough information for you to answer my questions, please contact me if there is anything else I can provide.

Thanks for your help,

Bill 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named left jamb.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named right jamb.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi Bill, 

There's a good chance that we can replace this hardware but we would need to see the coils and it's housing removed from the window, along with accurate dimensions, to confirm. Generally, we recommend using the cutout method shown in the video we've related for you to remove this hardware. That being said, the jamb spreaders are useful if you do this kind of repair often and can save you some time. Thank you!

A handy person from Fort Collins, Colorado says:

I have older TRACO windows. One window has the coil balance spring assembly broken on the left side and I would like to replace the broken parts.

The bottom spring writing says: CMC 129 35" 7#

The top spring writing says: CMC 038 35" 7#

The springs are 15/32" wide.

The entire assembly is 4"long x 1.25"wide x 17/32" thick

The assembly has patent# 5,353,548 for what it's worth

I have added pictures of the assembly and coil springs.

Do you have replacement parts? Please contact me with any questions.

Thanks,

Bill 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named assembly.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named left jamb.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi Bill,

Thank you for sending the additional information. Take a look at our 15-087 housing pivot, which is compatible with our 15/32" thick S180-7 coil springs. As long as the dimensions on our product pages match up to your original hardware, you should be good to go. Thank you!

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.