Coil for window

Quick Learner from Strasburg
May 8, 2023 6:44 pm

Hello,

I recently took off these coils but am unable to find anything on them. I recently purchased S140-5 right and left but they seem to be to big to fit. Can you recommend what coil/supply I could use to fix this?

Thank you,

DanielĀ 

IMG_7066 IMG_7065
2 user uploaded images
14 Replies
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
May 9, 2023 1:54 pm
SWISCO
EXPERT

Hello,

It looks like you have an older version of the 15-180 balance shoe, which is used with the Series 190 coil springs and related items shown on our product pages. If your coils do not have anything stamped on them, you would need to weigh your sash and divide the weight by the number of coils used on both sides to choose the correct strength options. Thank you! 

Aug 8, 2023 8:31 am
Hello,

I am just following up from your last response. Can I purchase a quick tilt constant force balance for my window?
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Aug 8, 2023 9:10 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

We do not recommend the quick tilt coil balance to replace the assembly shown in your photos. It is always a good idea to replace the original hardware with exact replacements whenever possible to ensure that the window operates properly. In your case, that would be the 15-180 balance shoe, the S190 coil springs and the related parts listed on our product pages. 

Aug 8, 2023 9:40 am
Thank you for the response. Do I need any other additional parts for the window?
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Aug 8, 2023 9:43 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

You would only need to replace the parts that are broken, which is one of the benefits of this type of assembly. 

Aug 8, 2023 9:45 am
I threw away the top piece. Do you know what that item would be, so I can purchase it? I also do not have a stamp on my coil.
Aug 8, 2023 9:58 am
Here are additional pictures from a window that currently works.
IMG_9096 IMG_9095
2 user uploaded images
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Aug 8, 2023 10:00 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the top piece. Are you referring to the cover for the coil balance? If so, we offer the 15-186 for single coils, as well as the 15-182 bushing to hold the coil spring in place. 

To determine the strength option for the replacement coils, you would need to weigh the window sash and divide the weight by the number of coils on each side. 

Aug 8, 2023 10:33 am
Hello. Thank you for your help. I just weighted my window and it's 18.2 lbs. I had two coils, one on each side previously. What coil number should I purchase?
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Aug 8, 2023 10:50 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

In that case, I would recommend using one S190-940 coil on each side. 

Aug 8, 2023 11:01 am
Okay, thank you. Do you have a video recommendation that shows how to install everything for the window?
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Aug 8, 2023 11:21 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

Sure, see the video below. The coil balance parts differ from yours but the process is fairly standard. 

Aug 27, 2023 6:45 pm
Thank you so much!
Casey
Casey from SWISCO
Aug 28, 2023 8:02 am
SWISCO
EXPERT

We're happy to help! Just let us know if you need anything else. 

Products and resources found in this discussion
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.
Need help identifying your part?
Send a photo or description to our Parts Experts!
Identify Your Part
SWISCO Part Experts