Coil Balance Shoe ID

A home owner from Manchester, New Hampshire says:

Tilt window (15 pounds) is hard to open. Do the coil springs fail? Note - I have not tampered with or removed the coil springs / shoe. Any advice?

P.S. - I forgot to mention the following. The pivot shoes are still lively when I turn the blue disc while pushing into to position when reattaching the tilt window. Also, I lubricated the shoes and window frame using silicone spray. This window faces west and gets hit with extreme temperatures. Cold wind from the west in the winter and direct sun in the summer. I wonder if the window frame is whacked.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Photo Sep 15, 5 33 06 PM.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Photo Sep 15, 5 33 45 PM.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Photo Sep 15, 5 34 03 PM.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Photo Sep 15, 5 34 34 PM.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

If the window is hard to open, I think it's safe to assume the coil balances should be replaced. See our 15-087 Shoe and 15-086 Tandem housing. This system uses our Series 180 Coil Balances. If the window weighs exactly 15 pounds, then you could use simply one of the 7 pound S180-7 springs on either side of the window, which would equal 14 pounds of support overall--being within 1 pound of the exact sash weight will work fine. In that case, you wouldn't need the Tandem housing for separate coils either. Let me know if the sash has a different exact weight, or if you have any other questions. 

Hello Bob! Thank you so much for your thorough reply. The weight that I provided previously was inaccurate due to my rounding down. The exact weight of the window is 18 pounds. Based on that updated weight, please provide your recommendations. In closing, I sincerely appreciate the help that you and your colleagues provide on this website. I wish more firms had a similar message board. Very impressive.

Randy
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Randy. Thanks for the kind words! Always glad to help. If the window weighs exactly 18 pounds, then use two of the S180-9 9 pound coils, one for each side of the sash. That will equal 18 pounds of support. Your older coil springs likely had weaker spring weights, which is why you needed two of them per side. So you will not need the 15-086 tandem housing when re-installing these. The image below shows generally how this system fits into the jamb track. 

Detail of 15-086
Detail of 15-086
I just placed an order, thanks again!
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.