Coil spring keeps breaking

A handy person from Berkeley, CA says:
Window brand: Qualitex (I've read it's a re-branded Amerimax window).

Double-glass panels, tilt-out, only the bottom sash slides up and down.

Bottom sash weighs 14.4 pounds and measures 27.5" x 17".

Overall the window measures 29.75" x 34"

Stamping on spring: "DL" on the top spring, "D" on the bottom one.

No other markings anywhere.

------

The springs break on pretty much a yearly basis. It's been technician-serviced twice. I'm fairly handy, so the second time he left us a bunch of balances so that I could replace them instead of waiting 3 weeks for a technician. I've burned through all the balances *sigh*

I was never sure about the number of coils and such. It looks like the technician possibly drilled an extra hole (for an extra coil perhaps?). It's kind of confusing. I could really use help figuring out the correct set-up (how many springs, and so on).

What I would like to try is maybe replacing the balances with an equivalent three-spring balance, to help distribute the sash weight among them. With any luck this might reduce breakage significantly. I'd really like to try this and I want to ask if this is feasible? I don't mind making modifications if needed.

If not, then I just need to know which springs will get it working again as it is?

Thanks!
User submitted photos of a window balance.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
We might have a simpler solution. You can consider using our S140-7 Quick-Tilt assembly and installing it on the lower screw hole. An S140-7 on each side should be perfect for your sash weight. The caveat is you will have to replace your old pivot bar with either our 26-398 or 26-405. Compare the screw holes on your old pivot bar to one of these and see which is best.
A handy person from Berkeley, CA says:
Thank you for your response. I took the pivot bar out and measured it carefully. I uploaded a photo with dimensions.

It appears the 26-405 is too big. Also, I can't find the 26-308 on your website. What would you recommend I do? Thanks!
User submitted photo of their window hardware.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
I'm sorry, I had made a typo. I meant to suggest our 26-398 pivot bar. You actually appear to have our 26-316, but this will not fit in the S140-7 balance assembly. The 26-398, however, will. Check it out and let me know what you think!
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.