Constant force balance spring #12

A home owner from honolulu says:
Don't know if you can help me, I'm looking for replacement constant force balance springs to replace the OEM springs used in my window wall which have ~ a 3 year life before failure. They are installed in a double hung, double glazed window assembly with each sash being 32" high and 29" wide. Currently using a #12 balance spring. The OEM assembly measures 4 5/8" long, 1 1/4" wide with two coils of ~1/2" metal springs.

Thank you in advance for looking over my request...Greg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Your coil spring system looks very close to our S140-12. Take a look and see if this is the correct replacement for you.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

The typical life span of a coil balance spring system is usually 5-10 years depending on the usage of the window. It's best to stick with the same type of system you have before. If you believe it is incorrect, you can always weigh the sash of your window to make sure the spring strength is accurate. You don't want to go too light or too heavy on your spring system because then the window will not function properly.

Thank you...these look like an exact fit.

Do you have any data as to the expected life span, or cycles that I could expect from the S140-12?

Does the spring weight determine the life span or just the lift/hold power..like would an S140-10 be better?
Thanks Paul...I'll weigh the window sash and then decide what makes sense. We live in Hawaii, so we open and close the windows pretty much every day..My estimate is once per day for 300 days per year...or about 1000 cycles ~ 3 years to failure where the top spring of the dual coil cracks and breaks.

I'm trying to determine if it is a "normal" expectation, a manufacturer issue via design or tempering, a weight impact..balance springs to weak or strong...etc...
Hello Paul,

I've weighed the window sash...21.5 lbs each. Does SWISCO produce a S-140-11 in a single spring or is the S-140-12 dual spring my only option?

Once again, thank you for your help...Greg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid we don't have a single spring S140-11, but I see no reason why our dual spring S140-11 won't work. If your sash is 21.5 pounds, this may be your best option, but to be honest our S140-12 could still work. If that's what you had before, and if it worked fine for years, then I see no reason to change.

Thanks again...Ok..I'll order 4 to try out. Your recommendation please...the S140-11 or the S140-12. I'm looking for the most trouble free, with the longest cycle life..since I'd guess either one would hold the window in place..Greg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Yep, pretty much. I don't think either would be stronger or last longer than the other. That's why we usually recommend to stick with what you have.

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.