Constant force coil springs for a DH Window

A contractor from Boone, IA says:

I'm a contractor trying to fix a window for customer, but I can't tell what size of coil balances I need. They are the type like your Series 196, but I cannot read anything off of the springs. There are 2 springs, piggy backed on each side, so I need one long and one short. The window is a tilt-in, Fairview Double Hung by Trilite Windows. It is approx. 32 x 58 (frame size). Do you have a chart or anything that would help me out?

Also, I am having an issue getting the pics that I took of the springs to download onto my computer, so I can't send the photos either.

Any help you can give me wuold be greatly apprediated!

Thanks!

Dave

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Dave. Without photos I can't say for sure what you have. It sounds like you already picked out the springs you need, though, which are our Series 195 and Series 196. If you can't read the stamps on the old springs then you will have to weigh your sash on a scale and divide that by how many springs support it. Then you can pick accordingly.

I have not picked out the springs I need. I was saying that they might be it, or at least similar.
So YOu do not have a chart that has the frame size, and tells uou what springs are needed bbased on that??
Profile picture of Tom

No, that's not how coil balances are identified. Every manufacturer uses their own type of balance, and even the same manufacturer can use a bunch of different balances from window to window. Then you have to account for the installers themselves, who may make last minute changes to get things to work. You'd be amazed what kind of wild stuff you'll see when someone's got a deadline. The kind of chart you're suggesting simply wouldn't be practical. Window size and even window brand won't tell you anything about the coil balance used.

I can ID your balance, but I'll need photos of the originals for reference. I especially need a photo of the pivot shoe, which is the most important detail, in addition to the thickness of the spring itself. We use physical details to ID parts. It's a lot easier and more reliable.

Here are the pics that I have. If you need more, let me know. I used to work for the company, Ttilite, that manufactured these windows(Fairview). They, at the time, had a chart that showed what each size window and the balance that they took. They went out of business 10 plus years ago and I've tried all my contacts to hunt down the chart but have had no luck. Let me know if you eed anything else for me and I appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks! Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16112575106336964700815082329865.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210121_191654316.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210121_191650376.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210117_205937250.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210117_205929364.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you. Were you able to get a picture of the pivot shoe, as well? Like I said previously, it's the most important detail. Let me know if you can get that to me.

I'll try to get a picture of the shoe.
Meanwhile, the sash weighs about 23 lbs.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, let me know whenever you can get that.

Here are some pics of the pivot shoe.
Let me know if that helps determine what shoes I need. Thanks.
Dave
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210201_205844036.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210201_205852543.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210201_210016482.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210201_210021297.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210201_210028760.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks, Dave, that's a huge help. That's our 15-111 shoe, which is compatible with two springs: the 3/8" thick Series 165 and the 1/2" thick Series 160. I think these parts are what you want, depending on the thickness of the shoe. Looks to be 1/2" to me, but I'm just eyeballing it.

The springs are 1/2" wide. But there are 2 on each side (one shorter, and onelonger), and the sash weighs approx. 23 lbs.
So based on that, can you tell me what I need for springs?
I'm guessing a 4.5 short, and a 7.5 long??
Profile picture of Tom

If your spring is 1/2" thick then you want the Series 160, but there is no long or short version of this spring. I'm not really sure what you mean by that. They should both be the same size.

Since you have two springs per side and your sash weighs 23 pounds then you could probably get away with four 5.5 pound springs. That gives you 22 pounds of support. You could also do one 5.5 and one 6.5 spring on each side, which gives you 24 pounds. It's up to you.

I used to work for the manufacturer that made these windows, and when there were two springs on each side the front one was shorter and the back one was longer, As in the pictures I've sent again. I sure wish I could still read what was on the spring so it would make things easier!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210210_173520211.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20210210_173455666.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

That must just be an older style. We don't have springs designed this way but I don't think it will matter. In your case it seems both springs attach to the shoe, but in our case the top spring just attaches to the bottom spring. I can't see that making a big difference.

For a 23 pound sash, I recommend an S160-4 and S160-7 as well as the 15-111 shoe. 

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.