Series 770 too short?

A home owner from Palm Coast says:
Hi, I need some advice. Recently I bought a pair of window balances from you, S770-27 - Option 27F. I picked these to replace a failed balance identified as Unique 27-F-60. I picked these because I found a link on your site recommending them as the proper replacements. I recently received the balances from you and discovered that the overall length of yours is 1 inch shorter than my original ones. Do I have the correct replacements and is the 1 inch shorter length going to be a problem? Also, I did not order a tool for "charging" the balance as I have Tilt-Windows and your tools seem to be for either Spiral Balances which I do not have or for Non-Tilt Windows. What is the proper tool for me to order for these S770-27 - Option 27F balances being installed in Tilt Windows? Thanks for your help.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear your balances were the wrong length. Unfortunately, the wrong length will not work for your window. Stamp codes are not always indicative of the actual length, which is why it's best to check to be safe. Can you show us pictures of both ends of the balance, as well as the stamp code? Can you measure the length of the metal channel, not including any end attachments? Finally, I'd advise you weigh your window sash. We'll need that exact weight to confirm what stamp option you should select. 

As far as the charging tool, something like our 75-005 works fine with this which is why we recommend it. But to be honest, any kind of hook will do. Even needle nose pliers will suffice, if you can fit them in there. 

I have attached photos of the balance stamp, measurement and both ends. As you can see it the photo the metal channel is 28 inches.

Unfortunately, I am not able to remove the sash to weigh it at this time as I am alone and it is too large and heavy for me to easily remove and replace without help. It is approximately 50 inches wide and 31 inches high with dual panes, heavy and awkward.
Hopefully this can suffice for now. Please let me know if I really need to weigh it.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190617_132356.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190617_132303.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190617_132332.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20190617_132339_1.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks for getting back to me. OK, so this is more or less what we expected. It's an older version of the Series 770 where the stamp code was one number less than the length. So you'd need a S770-28. Now, 28F may be your stamp, as the older balance's stamp (in your case, 27F) often sync up, but there's no way to guarantee this without weighing your window sash. You can match that exact sash weight with one of the weight ranges listed alongside each stamp option on the product page.  

Thanks for your reply. i will try the weigh the sash when I can get someone to help me and order the correct 28" balances.
Who do I need to contact to return the two 27" balances I received?
Profile picture of Bob

See our Return Policy here. Let me know if you have any other questions.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.