Converting existing door handle to keyed on Sliding Door

A quick learner from USA says:
I'm wanting to swap out the door handle on my sliding door.
There is already a latch in the door, the mounting screws of that seem to be of the 3.5" size.
Do I have to purchase the mortice lock, since this isn't a new installation?

I was going to use 82-086....that will fit my existing mounting holes.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_123927839 (2).JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_123927839 (1).JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image_123927839.JPG
A home owner from USA says:
here is a little more info, I found a little foil sticker
Shwinco Architectural Products Dothan, Alabama
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I don't believe the 82-086is the best option for you in this case. The thumb lever on this handle set is fixed in the bottom position and cannot be adjusted in any way. Meanwhile, yours appears to be in the center position.

With that in mind I recommend the 82-030. This works the same way as the 82-086 but has an adjustable thumb lever, allowing it to work in any position.

I also recommend double checking your hole spacing before you buy anything. I don't think 3-1/2" is accurate, it should be 3-15/16". That's more common for doors like this.

A home owner from USA says:
the reason for the change from the 82-030 to the 82-086 is because we want to be able to unlock the slider from the outside.....Keyed lock handle.
Is this where/why I would need the mortice also?
Is my picture of the current mortice enough or should I take it out and take more pictures/measurements?
Thanks
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Sure, if you needed an exterior key lock then you can use our 82-310 (sold separately). This is fully compatible with the 82-030.

Both the 82-030 and 82-310 are compatible with your mortise lock. As long as it's still in good condition then you can reuse it.

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
How to Replace a Sliding Glass Door Latch Lever
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
How to Install a Key Lock on a Patio Door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
Legacy Patio Door Handles, Locks & Spindles
GUIDE
READ >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
How to install the 82-030 Handle Set
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.