Correct Balance length

A handy person from California says:
I have a window with glass measuring 26.5" top to bottom. One side of the window has a Caldwell 23 5 balancer and the other has a Caldwell 26 4 balancer. Based on other measurements the 385 series is correct for me but I am questioning the correct balancer size since they are not matched. Can you confirm which part I should buy? I'm guessing it is either 385-26 option 2540 or 385-27 option 2640.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The rule of thumb is to measure the height of the visible glass and then add 1". In your case, considering you already have a 27" balance installed on one side, you're probably safe going with that. I would wager that was the original balance in the window and that someone mistakenly used a 23" as a replacement at some point over the years. It happens all the time.

Keep in mind this is just an educated guess. It's also possible that neither balance is correct and you need something entirely different, but that's not something I can predict. I feel pretty confident that a 27" balance is what you want.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.