Correct replacement for crank style hardware

A home owner from Franklin, TN says:
I have a contemporary 1980's built home with many crank style windows. Many of the circular crank center pieces are broken and will not open or close the windows. What is the correct style and replacement for these cranks, please. I am attaching two photos. Do I need to purchase the whole replacement kit with the metal arms too or can just the central part be replaced? Thank you. Ann Waters
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Looks like the worm gear is broken on your operator. These can't be repaired or replaced, unfortunately, which means you will need an all new operator.

We should be able to supply you with the right part for the job, but I will need a clear photo of the complete operator in order to make a recommendation. These photos here only show the interior base. Would that be possible?

Attaching 2 photos of the crank operator. Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 862CC698-EC71-4AB0-BDF3-64FF00BDDC0C.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 06413339-FE1D-4AEF-A347-CAA393533442.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! That's a huge help. I think the best replacement for your operator is going to be our 39-083. This is the same style and has an "elbow to elbow" measurement of 21-1/2", when the arms are closed.

Dimensions for 39-083
Dimensions for 39-083

I recommend checking that measurement on your old part just to ensure that it's the same. Another option is the 39-140, which has a 16" elbow to elbow measurement instead.

Dimensions for 39-140
Dimensions for 39-140

Thank you Tom, that information is very helpful. I have the 21" wide crank option so I will go ahead and order these.
Appreciate your expertise.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, glad to hear it! Please let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

How to Replace an Awning Operator
How to Replace an Awning Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.