Counter weight for broken window

A handy person from Buffalo, NY says:

Dear Sirs;

These parts are from a broken window that is in our recently acquired cottage. I am looking to find replacements. Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 082B4478-ACBF-4A7D-AC0B-6CED5D90A161.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4C403E33-9EBE-4D0C-9F6B-537C00E6B1F1.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for your patience in this matter, John. Your pivot shoe looks like a match for our 15-111, which itself is compatible with our 1/2" thick Series 160 coil spring. Look this over and let me know what you think.

Your shoe honestly looks like it's still in good condition, so you can probably reuse it. I only mention the 15-111 just in case you need it anyway.

Thanks!
I will be out at the cottage this weekend and I will look into this more closely. But how do I remove the spring cover? There isn't a removable section in the window track.
John
Profile picture of Tom

There should be a cutout at the top of the track, perhaps behind a sash stop. You can feed the coil balance up and out of it as one whole piece.

Some windows aren't designed with a cutout, though, which can be frustrating. I guess some manufacturers would rather you replace the whole window instead of just one little part. If that's your situation, then you'll have to make one. I recommend watching the video below for instructions on how you can do this.

Awesome video, thanks so much.
Question:
How would I know what weight coil balance I need, as I have been unable to locate any numbers or stamping?
Thanks,
John
Profile picture of Tom

You will need to weigh your sash on a scale and get back to us with that information.

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.