Crank for casement

A quick learner from California says:
Hi Service Department:
I need to order a crank for my bathroom window. I'm attaching a picture of the window and of the crank I need.
Measurements:
base 1.5 inches
Arm 3.5
Knob 1
Full piece 5.5
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Elise again 1.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Elise again 2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Elise again 3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Elise again.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! This looks similar in design to our 39-172, however I'm not sure about the size of your link arm. Your diagram shows it as 5-1/4", but in your post you say that the arm is only 3-1/2". Can you confirm? The arm on the 39-172 is 5" and I'm afraid that might be too big.

Hi Tom, before I measure, I want to make sure I'm clear. Which piece is the link arm? Is it the part with the "B" on it in the picture - The whole 2 parts that bend like an arm? And if so, do I measure the whole thing extended? Or is it the piece underneath?
Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, the link arm in question is the one in your photo marked with "B." To determine how to measure its length, refer to the image below of the 39-172 that I mentioned. The link arm length is indicated here at 5".

Dimensions for 39-172
Dimensions for 39-172
Yes - 5 inches.
Thank you!
Profile picture of Tom

That's a relief! That fact alone saves you a whole lot of extra steps that we would have had to taken otherwise. 

At the end of the day, I think our 39-172 is definitely your best bet. 

Hi Tom,
I remeasured and I think it's 5 1/4. Ugh!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named A0438837-4832-456A-82EE-11698F791AF0.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see. I'm afraid we don't have anything in that size. 1/4" difference may not be a big deal. There's a chance our operator will work as-is. If it doesn't, you could try adjusting the position of the mounting bracket to make up the difference.

Should even that fail, then there is a third option you can try. It involves using the old link arm on the new operator, which requires some drilling and hammering. We can cross that bridge when we get there, but it's always a good last-ditch solution. I'm hoping that we won't get to that point and that our operator will work as-is.

Ok. How do I purchase the one you think may work?
Thanks!
Profile picture of Tom

All orders for any of our products can be placed directly on our site. All you have to do is visit the product page for the part in question, click "Add to Cart," and then click "Checkout" in the upper right hand corner of the page to finalize the process.

Thanks Tom, I appreciate your help. Have a good day
Can I order just the crank 39-205 or do you think I need to order the whole mechanism (39-172)?
Profile picture of Tom

That depends on what's broken. If your operator is broken, then replacing the handle won't do anything. Looking at your photos above, your handle still seems to be in good condition.

It's honestly very, very rare that an operator handle breaks before the operator itself. In addition to that, the handle doesn't really have any effect on the gears in the operator and how they function; all a handle does is make an operator spline easier to rotate. The operator is what's doing all the work.

Hi Tom,
Hopefully this is my last question: if I order the whole piece, can you recommend someone in my agree (Studio City, California) who can install it for me or do I need to find a handyman? Thanks Elise
Profile picture of Tom

Hey, Elise. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with your area. We're only in New Jersey so I'm not sure who youc ould contact in California. Sorry we can't help on that front!

Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.