Crank window part

A handy person from Cincinnati, Ohio says:
Hello! My window no longer cranks open, the handle just spins. I was hoping to see which part or assembly is needed. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named F3162262-81D4-421E-9F07-17EAF88C3EF6.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It sounds like your operator gears are stripped out, which will necessitate total replacement of the operator in question. We can help, but I will need to see a clear photo of it removed from the window entirely.

Thanks for the reply. I unscrewed the handle with a small flat head screw driver. The spine does keep spinning, so something inside isn't working properly.

Any idea how the plate / cover comes off to expose the mechanism?

I can't seem to force it off. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yep, the gears are definitely stripped. You will need an all new operator.

Odds are the cover cannot be removed in your case. Older operators like this were designed so that the "cover" is permanently affixed to the base. That wouldn't help, anyway; we need to see the entire mechanism out of the window in order to match it up.

Here's a photo I snapped today to try to disassemble. Unfortunately it'll probably have to wait until Spring since today maybe be the last nice day weather-wise here. Hopefully I can at least get the parts needed.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 67277EF5-5AF8-4B1C-BB80-B7F71A98F581.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

This photo is perfect, honestly. There are a few key details on display here that tell me exactly what I need. This operator appears to be an older version of our 39-221B. Coincidentally, this newer version's cover and handle are sold separately under our 39-451 kit and are fully detachable.

I'm pretty confident these are the parts you want, but you should look over them carefully just to see for yourself. Let me know if you had any questions or doubts.

Thank you so much for the help! Just ordered the parts.
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install an Encore dyad operator
How to install an Encore dyad operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.