Custom spiral balance

A professional from Chicago says:
I'm fabricating some large windows (57" or 58" sashes) and I want to use spiral balances. I'm not totally sold on spirals, but I want something to lift the window fully, as the windows will be fully lifted for most of their use, and they need to stand up. I can get an estimate of the weight and the precise height of the window glass later.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Let's see if we can help you out here.

I assume the custom sashes you're making will be wooden, so I suggest using the Series 500 spiral balance. This is the most reliable system in the window manufacturing business, ever since the 1940's. Go with the proven record. The 5/8" Series 500 spiral balance uses a 17-012 bottom sash bracket, so keep in mind, you will need those, too.

As for the sashes, they will need to be routed to accept the 5/8" tubes, and you'll need to choose a balance length that works for your sash. To estimate the balance tube length, the rule of thumb is as follows: take the glass height of the sash and, for the top sash, add 1" and, for the bottom sash, add 3". How long of a balance do you need, based on that?
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.