Getting the Right Offset Dial Roller

A home owner from Baltimore, MD says:

I need to replace a set of rollers on a front door. They have a 1/4 in offset. The originals (which are still on the other 2 of the 3 doors are identical to 23-31 in appearance , excepting that they have 3/4 in metal rollers and 1/4 inch OFFSET. This door has had the set replaced twice before with ones with dial hangers, but not as well designed as yours.

Should I try 23-11 or switch to double rollers like 23-13 as I see no 1/4 in offset in the style of 23-31?

The present dial ones are marked 1 3/8 front and 3/4 rear.

John R

I had the Dial roller off and measured the offset as 1/4 inch. It hangs exactly flush with the other front door which has original rollers as pictured. There are 3 doors hung front, rear, front.Had considerable problem rehanging and do not want to risk removing again. This panel closes a stairway which separates the worlds of 2 cats who do not get along!!!!!

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You have a roller assembly from the defunct Lawrence Brothers Hardware company. They only made a 1/8" offset roller, the 23-031, and a 1/2" offset, the 23-047. Both used 3/4" diameter wheels, and the brackets are marked 3/4" and 1-3/8". I hope this will help clarify it for you.

Actually, the part 23-031 does not work. I will remove and measure a really old door roller assembly which I should have removed instead of just the broken recent replacement and correspond soon. I think the problems are that the original had narrow steel wheels in a rounded track and the nylon ones in the otherwise identical part are flat and too wide to fit and additionally the 1/8 in off set is not correct.
Sending you the photos. The rollers to be replaced were made with a longer roller shaft and I did not see the double layer of metal on the working door until today, so I need 1/2 inch offset.
The 23-031 has rollers with flat surface, the track has a rounded bottom. Both the ancient LBH and the "wheel" replacements have steel rollers with rounded bottoms. The flat bottom roller will not fit down into track to even swing into position. No clearance.
Is there a possible substitute with round bottom rollers? (Started at Home Depot. They have many brands listed to be ordered, but none in store to examine, and their photos are poor.)
Of course I could take the old dremel and grind off the edges of the wheels of some 23-047.
PIX: the 2 wheels working LBH and your 23-031), round bottom double track, to be replaced, ancient working original
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

I'm sorry to hear the 23-031 won't work. I haven't been able to find anything closer, though. Before you return the 23-031 roller assemblies, try and see if the wheel will roll in the upper track without installing them on the door. If it does, then the 23-047 could work for you. 

There is another method you can try. Consider installing our 10-102 3/4" rounded ball bearing wheel on your old housing. You can drill out the rivet holding the wheel and screw on the the 10-102 wheel to the bracket with a 33-087 screw. You might need to add a washer and use Locktite on the threads, but that could be a quicker solution.

A quick learner from Baltimore says:

This is the suggestion that I May need to try. I have located a manufacturer of such rollers in California. I find a number of their products at Home Depot and Lowe's and ic May need to try. I have located a manufacturer of such rollers in California. I find a number of their products at Home Depot and Lowe's and ACE.

You have something that looks like one of their's. They do carry rollers that can be adjusted because of a slotted hole. They're in their catalog, but the aforementioned vendors do not have them. So I sent an inquiry. I regret I do have to return yours? Wrong offset my error and flat rather than around it.

I did indeed try to hang roller set in the track. That's how I found it didn't fit.

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Ah, I see. I'm sorry we couldn't offer a closer match. I'm hoping just replacing the wheel can work, but when it comes to old doors like this it's impossible to say for sure.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.