Determine sash weights

A handy person from Torrington CT says:

I am going to replace all the Peachtree S745 balancers in my house and I need a way to estimate the window sash weight to be sure I order the correct ones.

I don't want to remove all the sash's to check part numbers.

Based on the one window we did which had an old balancer number of 2472 we used a standard 32-1/4" (31.25-3 HN5 CMC 8) balancer which worked fine. I will need more of these plus some for same height but a 6" wider window.

Is there a formula for calculating sash weight?

Also is there a calculation for determining the balancer height. I'm using 90% of the sash height as my gauge.

Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid there's no way to accurately estimate sash weight this way. Your only options are to either refer to the stamp printed on your old balance or to remove the sash and place it on a scale, then refer to the chart we have on the S745-20 store page. You don't want to guess when it comes to balance strength, there are just too many variables involved to depend on sash size alone. That doesn't account for what the sash is made of or what kind of glass it uses, in addition to numerous other tiny factors. 

When it comes to balances, it's better to be safe than sorry.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.