Difference between 39-090 and 39-187?

A quick learner from Palm Springs says:
Hi there!

My window guy had me order the DYAD 5" CRANK numbers 39-090 and 39-089 (for the left and right windows that we need to replace) from y'all and I currently have them. They look exactly the same as the 39-187, but want to double check before I spray paint them, (as I need them in an aluminum color to match). Do you think it's safe, or should I return the 39-090 and 39-089 for the 39-187?

Thank You!
Lyn
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Hey, Lyn, thanks for posting. I can't really tell which of these two types of operators you have based on your pictures. They key difference, you see, is in the arms.

It's a real subtle difference, and honestly it's even hard for me to pick it out sometimes. That said, take a look at the 39-187 and 39-090. Look at the arms as they come out of the base. You can kind of tell that the 39-187 has a sharper bend to it, almost a rough "E" shape, as opposed to the 39-090's more gentle "S" shape. Which do your arms have?
A quick learner from Palm Springs says:
here's the inner workings of the crank (not the same one we need replaced as it is in a rental property of ours atm, but a pix of one that's identical, except for the color). i am hopeless, still can't tell which is closer to the right shape, 39-187 or 39-090. or would either work? i have the 39-090 and would love it i could make that work - lol!!
also, will need to paint it... would just regular spray paint work, do you think?
thanks!
lyn
User submitted photos of a window operator.
30893 PAT CANADA 1986 UK PAT 2135397
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Ah, I see. Unfortunately, it looks like your operator arm more closely matches our 39-187 & 39-188. The arm offset has a vague "E" shape, rather than an "S" shape.
A home owner from Palm Springs says:
Thank you for the info!! Any chance this comes in silver? If not... Is painting an option?? Also, is over night shipping an option?

Thanks!
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Unfortunately, these operators are only available in white, beige, or bronze. However, you can try using Krylon aluminum spray paint and their clear coat paint.
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.