Difference between the S170 and S171 springs

A quick learner from Havertown, PA says:
On the site I was looking for a #407 Spring replacement for a certainteed window.
The broken one I have has the number 407 stamped on the end.
On you site, the 407 spring comes up with two versions (S170-407 & S171-407), same number, virtually same description, but different part numbers. Could you please explain what the difference is as I want to make sure that I order the correct part.
Thank you for your help
Sincerely,
Roger D.
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
If your window sash requires a coil balance where the springs are doubled up on each side of the window sash you would use both the S171 and S170 springs. The series 171 has a longer tail, so it would be used on the top and the shorter S170 would be used on the bottom. The spring on top needs a longer tail to reach pivot shoe.
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
SWISCO S170 and S171 Coil Balance Assembly
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.