Difference in Entrygard, Entrygard II and Trimline

A handy person from Georgia says:
I have 31 wide x 72 high double hung windows with a single sash lock similar to your 90-278. The single lock is worn and not strong enough to hold the top sash all the way up, resulting in a gap at the top allowing air to seep through.

I would like to put two sash locks on each window to provide more support and lifting ability.

What is the difference in the Entrygard, Entrygard II and Trimline sash locks in terms of build quality? I noticed there is a large price difference. Which would be considered more heavy duty and durable?

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
Hmm... the lock shouldn't be holding the top sash up. There could be a slight drop, but not enough to let air in. Before you start adding locks, check the interlocks between the top and bottom sash. Are they clean and free from dents? That might be what's causing the top sash to drop. Another cause is the balance. If you have spiral balances, they may simply need to be charged a turn or two. If not, they may need replacing altogether.

As for adding a lock, all locks are die cast and very similar in strength, so if the 90-278 matches yours it may be your best bet.
A handy person from Georgia says:
Based on the existing sash lock which has a raised MW, I believe they are Marvin Windows manufactured late 1999.
The top and bottom sash have springs on the sides. When the top sash is all the way up, the side springs are fully relaxed and when the top sash is moved down, the springs stretch to assist in lifting the sash back up. The bottom works in a similar fashion in that when the bottom sash is all the way down, the springs are fully relaxed and when the bottom sash is lifted up the springs stretch to assist in lowering the sash back down. Since the springs are fully relaxed when the top sash is up, they provide no lift to help hold the sash tightly closed. Should they be holding the top sash up?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:
It could be your balance springs are worn and becoming weak with age. If possible, I would like to see some photos of the window track and the balances if you can. That would help us make some recommendations and finally zone in on exactly what the problem is.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.