Do I Need New Pivot Shoes?

A quick learner from New Jersey says:
I moved into a condo that has Silverline single tilt windows. Some of the seals were broken and those windows have been replaced. When replacing the windows, I noticed that some of the pivot shoes(?) stay in the down position when the windows are raised. Do these pivot shoes have to be replaced? WD40? What parts are needed to replace the pivot shoes?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

It sounds like the pivot shoes aren't connected to the sash at all. I'd like you to go into a little more detail, if possible.

• When you raise these particular windows, do they stay raised or do they drop back down after you let go?
  • What's the condition of the pivot bars? These are the metal bars on the bottom corners of the sash that connect to the pivot shoe.
  • Can you show me photos of the issue? Can you also remove one of the pivot shoes and show me a photo of it by itself?

Hopefully that that will help us get to the bottom of matters. Thank you!

A quick learner from New Jersey says:

Thanks for your reply. I sprayed the springs with WD40 and the pivot shoes retracted very quickly. Apparently the pivot bars were not seated properly in the shoes and after I tilted the windows and straightened the pivot bars into the shoes, both windows worked. It may be only a temporary fix for the time being but I will know to keep the pivot shoes and springs lubricated.

Joyce

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1897.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1898.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

That's great! I'm glad you got these windows working again. For future reference, I made a list of related parts based on these photos. Just in case anything goes wrong in the future, you can hopefully use this as a resource. I would also be happy to help with anything you may need, of course.

How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window pivot bar
How to replace a window pivot bar
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.