Don't know how to replace the bottom "Shower Door Guide Product Code: 10-216."

A quick learner from Midlothian, Virginia says:
One of my shower door guides came out when some work was done in the shower and when the door was put back the guide fell out. Since I don't want to take the door out, I can't see where it goes. Unfortunately, I have gone everywhere I can think of on-line to find a picture of the bottom of the door with no success. If you could show me a picture, I'm sure I can replace it.

Thank you.
Linda
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for contacting us, Linda. I'm afraid you won't be able to replace the 10-216 without removing the door. First, you will need to remove the door and lay it on a flat surface, like a table or a pair of saw horses. Next, remove both bottom end screws (you might need WD-40 to help loosen them up). Then, with a block of wood and hammer, gently knock off the bottom rail only just enough to allow you to slide the new guide in place.
A home owner from CA says:
How do you remove the door when this thing holds the door to the bottom rail?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

These guides are troublesome, and that's an understatement. Unfortunately nobody here has any practical experience with this door and I've never been able to find one in person to get my hands on and experiment with. I'm afraid that all our knowledge on the subject is academic. 

That said, I have been told to see if there is a removable trim piece on the bottom track of the shower door. It should be held in with screws. Remove that trim piece then you should be able to remove the shower door to access the bottom to replace the guides. 

A handy person from Punta Gorda, FL says:
That "removable trim piece" on my door also captures the rubber seal along the bottom. This should be 'interesting'. Will report how it turns out......
A handy person from Punta Gorda, FL says:
Did this 18 Jun 20. Do one corner at a time...disturb rubber seal & channel as little as possible. Screw that holds the door bottom corner together will probably be seized up nicely, Phillips head probably going to try to strip. If so, use chunk of sharp-cornered wood and hammer to drive the old guide away from door edge towards center of door bottom...couple of sharp raps with a hammer on the wood will drift/strip the guide along the hidden screw threads that hold it in place. Slide old guide towards door center. Now entire 1 3/8 screw is accessible. Lube w/ penetrating oil (P B Blaster), which still probably won't do it. In that case, seat small cold chisel or wide blade screwdriver in recess between screw and inner channel and rap soundly with hammer a few times. Repeat in other gap. Idea is to shock the seized screw/channel to allow lube in. Try with screwdriver again (better, a properly sized Phillips bit in a small ratchet that you can really lean on). Screw should back out, or repeat the "shocking". Drift the end of bottom outer door channel down enough to just clear the guide and slide out/replace the part. Press door bottom back in place, line guide up flush with door edge and start the screw. Careful, it's easy to miss the inner channel hole entrance...screw may be slightly cocked at the start. Hold the guide flush as screw is run in and traps it. Repeat for other guide. 2nd one is way easier! Replace 'em all...probably all quite brittle by this point in their life.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Thank you so much for the update, and the detailed instructions! I'll make sure to keep this in mind for future inquiries. 

A handy person from Concord, NC says:
These shower door guides snap into the bottom track. You can snap them back out of their groove be exerting light pressure with a screwdriver blade or putty knife. Before removing the upper part of the door from the wheel track. They will easily snap back into place so take care to block them from doing that while you remove the door from the upper track.

I laid my doors on a sawhorse while I removed the phillips screws. My screws came out pretty easily but yours may not. The thing to know about these screws is they have a dual function. The primary purpose is to hold the frame together but the secondary purpose is to hold the slides in place by friction so it's important to try to save these screws. The slides can easily be driven off the screws and toward the center of the door with light taps from a large screwdriver blade and hammer. This will expose the length of the Phillips screw so you can spray it with WD-40. Let it penetrate for a while and try to remove the screw. Repeat as necessary.
Once BOTH screws have been removed the bottom frame member can be driven away from the side frame member. I used a very large screwdriver blade and a rubber hammer. Very little force needs to be used. Apply pressure to the metal and try to avoid the black rubber seal. Do one side at a time. The bottom frame member only needs to be separated from the side frame member a small amount - just enough to pull the old guide out. Now slip the new guide into place and tap the bottom frame member back into place but DO NOT replace the screw yet. Now repeat the slide removal procedure on the other side. Once both slides have been replaced move them as far to the sides of the door as they will go. Hold them in place and replace the screws. By holding them in place while installing the screws the screws will bind the slides into place.

Once the slides have been replaced hang the outside shower door on the track. The slides may just pop into the track by themselves. If they don't just reach down and apply light pressure with a finger. That should do it. Now hang the inside door, make sure the bottom guides pop into place and you're done.
A quick learner from Florida says:
I am a 79 year old Woman who replaced 2 Shower Door Guides with lots of oil (SILICONE) to loosen the screws and a lot of patience. I probably went the wrong route but got the job done. I took the old one out the hard way but I got it out. The new one went in easier as by then I had lots of patience and prayers.

I order 2 more to do the other door. 10-216
A handy person from Benson, AZ says:
Just wanted to say how easy it was to replace the shower door guides (10-216) on our 2 shower doors. We have had our shower doors for 8 years and this is the first time we had to replace them. I ordered a set of 4 more in the event that we need to replace them again in 8 years! The instructions from the person from Concord, NC were very helpful.
A handy person from Stuart FL says:
My parent's told me their shower doors have been just hanging since 2001 when my aunt fell into them. They were sure they would need to totally replace the whole unit. 4 little parts, a bunch of WD-40, a good pair of vice grips,the advice above and they are good as new!
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.