Door Weather Strips

A home owner from AL says:

I need to replace some weather strips. Attached are 4 photos which may help. The only manufacturer's info on the door (we pulled one out of the frame) was on the glass itself:

PPG Herculite K

Tempered Safety Glass, 16 CFR 1201 CII, ANSI Z97.1-1984 1/8" U, SGCC-1110 40145 99

House was built in 2000. FYI, we know original owner used Lowes a lot, so maybe one of their suppliers.

TWO MORE QUESTIONS:

1. Is it possible to buy what I'd call "molding strips" - (assumed)vinyl strips that cover the glass-to-frame joint (see "Door General" photo)?

2. Finally can you offer any advice or source of it for painting vinyl door frames. (I'm getting a lot of conflicting info re preparation, primers, and final coats - - local painters are not eager to get involved.)

Thanks for the help.

Cliff

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Door Frame and Weathr Strip Dimensions.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Door Frame with Weather Strip.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Door General .jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Weather Strip Cross Section.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hi Cliff. I recognize this bulb seal, but it was discontinued back in 2020 and is no longer available unfortunately. Our 58-156 might work as a replacement, but I can't make any guarantees. If you want you could order a smaple to try from our Samples Page here. Samples are free; only shipping charges apply. 

It sounds like you might need glazing bead. View our selection here. As with weatherstripping, you'll need to compare your old bead's end profile dimensions to find a proper match. 

Finally, it really depends on the exact kind of paint you want to use. Assuming you're using some kind of latex paint though, I'd remove the door if possible, clean it thoroughly, then use a primer before adding the paint. I don't think it should be much more involved than that--if you have a specific amount of layers for the primer or paint, follow the directions on the labels as prescribed.  

Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.