Door latch lever pin hole width

A quick learner from OC, CA says:

Hi - it looks like this model (82-218) will fit the lock I need to replace. However, can you tell me what the width of the opening is in the part that the latch lever pin from the handle threads through? I bought another replacement lock from another manufacturer, and to my surprise found the lever pin I have is slightly too wide to fit through this hole. 

My old lock width is 3/16 inch wide, whereas the one I bought is 2/16 inch wide, so doesn't work. Pics show what I mean - the lock on left is the old one which you can see has slightly wider opening where the pin goes through versus the new one on the right (outlined in red). I could buy a new thumb latch mechanism, but my handle is gold and can only find these in white. Thanks.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1553.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named InkedIMG_1552_LI.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! This is a very odd circumstance. I've never heard of a version of the 82-218 with a wider tail slot like you describe. It's possible that yours is a generic alternative, but even ignoring that it should work with your handle. It's also possible that the original installers altered it for whatever reason. Maybe the thumb tail on your handle set was defective, and instead of getting a new one, the installer used a file to make the hole thicker. 

I can't say for certain. The only certainty I do have is that this is not a normal size.

Either way, I ran to the back with my calipers and measured the slot myself. The width was ~0.27" and the thickness was ~0.10, give or take a thousandth. This is a standard size designed to work specifically with your style of handle.

We do sell the 82-107 thumb lever, but like you pointed out, it's only made in white.

Sorry we couldn't get you an easier option!

How to install a Legacy Handle Set
How to install a Legacy Handle Set
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
How to install the 82-218 Mortise Lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.